Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Featherweights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/featherweights-t161655.html)

Maureen 10-20-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks for all the input. Im waiting patiently for my chance to get one.

kso 10-20-2011 06:22 PM

Try posting the message that you are looking for a FW on any message board that you frequent.

I subscribe to some horse oriented boards and posted that I was looking for one (make sure you post a pic).

I HAVE A NIBBLE ON A BOOO-TIFUL WHITE ONE!

valleyquiltermo 10-20-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by YolandaW
For me they are
1. Cute
2. Sew a great stitch
3. Easy to work on myself
4. Parts are easy to get
5. Can transport easily
6. Hold their value

Ditto :thumbup:

cabbagepatchkid 10-20-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by kso
Try posting the message that you are looking for a FW on any message board that you frequent.

I subscribe to some horse oriented boards and posted that I was looking for one (make sure you post a pic).

Another thing to do is to mention to everyone that you know that you are looking for/interested in the old black Singer machines. You'd be surprised at the people who have them and don't know what to do with them. I was getting my teeth cleaned and got into a conversation with the hygienist about vintage machines. Next thing I knew, she was GIVING me her grandmothers' Singer model 99. You might just find that someone has a FW that they would be willing to sell you at a reasonable price!

AngieS 10-20-2011 06:44 PM

I too would love a featherweight but know right now its just not possible. So, I will wait till one comes along relatively cheap.

AngieS 10-20-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by kso

Another thing to do is to mention to everyone that you know that you are looking for/interested in the old black Singer machines. You'd be surprised at the people who have them and don't know what to do with them. I was getting my teeth cleaned and got into a conversation with the hygienist about vintage machines. Next thing I knew, she was GIVING me her grandmothers' Singer model 99. You might just find that someone has a FW that they would be willing to sell you at a reasonable price!

I have a 99 and it is AWESOME! I love that thing! I use it more than any other machine that I have (have 5 right now)!!

Alli 10-21-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I too would love a featherweight but know right now its just not possible. So, I will wait till one comes along relatively cheap.

I suggest you buy a Singer 301. They are usually much less money. I have both a FW and 301 and like them equally. The 301 is somewhat heavier but still easy to carry. Plus the 301 is more powerful than the FW if you are working on a heavier project. Good luck finding what you want...

AnnieF 10-21-2011 08:25 AM

I had so much trouble figuring out the auction etiquette on Ebay. That's why it's so surprising that I got mine on EBAY for $199. I had been watching the bidding for 4 or 5 months because all I had to pay for it was $225. One day at work I flicked over to EBAY and there was a "buy now" for $199. I couldn't order it from work so figured it was "meant to be" if it was still there when I got home...it was....I bought it and have been happy as a lark ever since. Set the price you're will to pay and check often, and you will find one eventually.

cherrybsixty 10-22-2011 05:06 AM

I live in Kansas City and have been wishing for a FW for years now. Earlier this year my DD that lives in Atlanta found me one on Craig's list for a price that I was willing to pay. I haven't seen it, but she says it's cute and ask me what are you going to do with that little thing. When I get there she will see what I'm going to do with it. Keep looking it will happen for you. There's a member on the VMS forum, that states, "the machine find us."

AngieS 10-22-2011 06:05 AM

Yeah, I figure when the time is right. ;) Just wish it was right, right now! LOL!! :)