Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Featherweights

I have been bidding on several featherweights in ebay without success. They start low but in the last few minutes the prices triple. I cant go over a certain amount and stay in my budget. Anyplace I might be able to get one in good condition?

Blog Entries
    just be patient and keep looking- when the time is right you will find the perfect machine within your budget.
    i spent 3 years looking for my (perfect vintage machine) and then got it for $20!!! patience pays!!! i would have paid 10 times that!

Blog Entries
    Wow, I am still looking to buy a featherweight also

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen
    I have been bidding on several featherweights in ebay without success. They start low but in the last few minutes the prices triple. I cant go over a certain amount and stay in my budget. Anyplace I might be able to get one in good condition?

Blog Entries
    I guess this is a dumb question.. What's "the big deal" about Featherweights? They're cute, but why are they in such demand?

Blog Entries
    waiting is difficult, but it will come, eventually. keep your eyes peeled

Blog Entries
    Good luck with your search. You can also check out the shopgoodwill.com site.

As to the big deal about Featherweights, they are cute, tie to history and historically are reliable and consistent with their stitching.

For me, though, I like my bells and whistles so have no desire for one.

try craigslist - FW are always cheaper on craigslist in my area then they are on ebay and you don't have to pay shipping.

I agree, try.Craigslist. however, if you do eBay, never bid before the last second. It just drives the price up. I used to use sniping.services.(google it, I don't recall a specific, but I only used free ones. Make sure your eBay password is not used for anything else since you have to share it, and change it often) that would put your bid in for you with 1 second left. It gives you the best chance without giving others a chance to up the bid.

Be patient, you will get a Featherweight as the prices on
    e-bay do vary. Try putting your top bid in and then watching to see what happens.

I bought a beautiful FW from a machine repair shop/collector. I don't know if that was unusual or I just lucked out. The repair guy convinced me to buy a Singer 301 with the FW at a very low price (I know now.) I love both machines. For me they produce the most accurate 1/4" seam. Besides they just look cool!

If a case isn't that important to you they easily fit into one of the sterlite file folder box. Most times they go for a lot cheaper without the case. Just make sure you get the bobbin holder and the foot pedal.

But like the other's said bid at the last minute. I use bidnip. You buy bids but they are really cheap. I've forgotten how much since my only purchase was 4 years ago and still have some left. You don't pay if you don't win. Bidnip has helped me win a ton of times.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep..snipers..hate that..now they have "bots" that do the bidding for you so you don't have to even watch the bidding..

I gave up two years ago...now, I am more interested in a 301!

If you have any shops near you where people put things up for sale (resale shops) you might find one. I bought mine for $25.00 and it sews like a little champ! I didn't know I needed one until I saw it sitting on the shelf!! :) :D :wink:

That happened to me numerous times. Esp with a particular vendor. I kept at it and actually got one from someone else. I love it.

ali

Well, I watched E-Bay for a year. Wasn't in a big hurry, also checked Craigslist and local thrift shops. I did notice the same thing with the prices going up in the last few minutes. I was bidding late at night and got mine for $250 with shipping. Machine and case in excellent condition, but didn't have any extra stuff and no manual (downloaded for free on Singer site). Only 1 extra foot and 2 bobbins. Good luck, it takes time to find what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR
    I guess this is a dumb question.. What's "the big deal" about Featherweights? They're cute, but why are they in such demand?
    Yea.

For me they are
    1. Cute
    2. Sew a great stitch
    3. Easy to work on myself
    4. Parts are easy to get
    5. Can transport easily
    6. Hold their value

Try this site:

http://www.patented-antiques.com/Sewing_Machines_Fw.htm

Some of the machines aren't too high in price. Also, scroll down 2/3 of the page and there is a rare cabinet made for a FW that has a 'lift' in it that allows the FW to store down inside the cabinet when not in use! I have never heard of one of these cabinets for a FW.

Another site that you might try is Cathy Forcino~~

http://www.cathylynnforcino.com/sewing%20machines.html

She makes mohair Teddy Bears but she also sells FW's and 301's. I've bought several 301's and a FW from her. If you check out her sewing machine page you will see a pic of my little golden retriever, Sasha, checking out the box when my first machine arrived. Her packing is awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR
    I just got a FW last week and was so happy I cried once I got her in the car and was on my way home......MY biggest joy is that it is exactly like the one my foster mother made almost all of my clothes on when I was growing....she made me wool coats, every day clothes, prom dresses AND my wedding dress !

I also learned on sew on this machine. As I got older I thougth I was far above something so simple so I bought me a fancy dancy Singer with all the bell and whistle (at that time anyway)....made clothes for myself and my 3 girls...even made my husband wool pants with a matching vest on my fancy Singer !

As I've gotten older (almost 65) I've realized that the basic stuff is good enough and sometimes better ! I also have a couple of Brothers two Singers and a low end Bernina and now am the proud owner of Miss Jimmie, my FW ! I feel that my foster mother, Jimmie is smiling from heaven and glad that I've found such joy in a sewing machine !

I've spent a lot of time this week piecing on her and just love it. The neat thing was that when I sat down to thread her and wind the bobbin I didn't need to look at the instruction sheet as I do with some of my other machines....there is almost NO way to thread her improperly.........

I took a quilting class earlier this year and one of the participants brought her FW because they are obviously lighter weight that other machines and piece beautifully.

Just waiting for another class so I can take my baby and show her off !!!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I found my Bitsy on ebay. The seller had an auction going, with a "Buy IT Now" price of $170. I snapped her up, knowing full well bidding would go over that at the last minute if not before. Keep looking, your turn will come.

Thanks for all the input. Im waiting patiently for my chance to get one.

kso
    Try posting the message that you are looking for a FW on any message board that you frequent.

I subscribe to some horse oriented boards and posted that I was looking for one (make sure you post a pic).

I HAVE A NIBBLE ON A BOOO-TIFUL WHITE ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by YolandaW
    For me they are
    1. Cute
    2. Sew a great stitch
    3. Easy to work on myself
    4. Parts are easy to get
    5. Can transport easily
    6. Hold their value
    Ditto :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by kso
    Try posting the message that you are looking for a FW on any message board that you frequent.

I subscribe to some horse oriented boards and posted that I was looking for one (make sure you post a pic).

I HAVE A NIBBLE ON A BOOO-TIFUL WHITE ONE!
    Another thing to do is to mention to everyone that you know that you are looking for/interested in the old black Singer machines. You'd be surprised at the people who have them and don't know what to do with them. I was getting my teeth cleaned and got into a conversation with the hygienist about vintage machines. Next thing I knew, she was GIVING me her grandmothers' Singer model 99. You might just find that someone has a FW that they would be willing to sell you at a reasonable price!

I too would love a featherweight but know right now its just not possible. So, I will wait till one comes along relatively cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast