Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feeling torn between projects (WIP) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-torn-between-projects-wip-t53553.html)

Beachbound 07-09-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
When I first started quilting, I heard ladies talk about have several things going at once. I said 'I don't like to do that, I want to finish one thing before I start another'. I didn't understand the concept of jumping from one project to another. Guess what? I have about five things going on, as we speak. It doesn't take long to change our thinking.

Yep, that is me too!!! Until this year I always did a quilt start to finish before starting a new one. Now I have 2 tops ready to hand quilt, fabric for 3 more to get started and I am trying to learn machine embrodiery while I juggle a few small projects. My head is spinning & I may have to go back to my 'start to finish' mode!

quiltilicious 07-09-2010 09:00 AM

One of my guilds does a gift swap for our December meeting where we are encouraged to get rid of UFOs and fabric we don't want. I got a dozen blocks that used an OOP fabric I have been looking for for about 5 years, and those blocks got turned into a finished quilt in 4 or 5 weeks.

I've got some tops that need quilting, and I can't seem to get to it, either. It's fear that I'll screw them up (since the quilting part is my weakest skill) and not really knowing what to do for quilting them, either.

So what am I doing now? Finishing knitting a sweater (32 more rows of cabling on the last sleeve to go!), and designing even more complicated quilts to piece.

auntbarb 07-09-2010 09:15 AM

I thought I was the only one who did that!

franie 07-09-2010 09:16 AM

I live in that state!

sew_lulu 07-09-2010 09:21 AM

Yikes.... perhaps we need to start a help group for people like us. :cry:

raptureready 07-09-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sew_lulu
Yikes.... perhaps we need to start a help group for people like us. :cry:

Why? I like me just the way I am. :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Boston1954 07-09-2010 12:44 PM

Put numbers on them. Put same numbers in a bowl. Pick a number. :-D

wesing 07-09-2010 04:54 PM

Lulu -

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that you have several things going. It's nice to work on different things and get a fresh look at them.

If you feel guilty about leaving them, pick the one closest to finished and try to get it done while you're starting your next project. It's always encouraging to finish something, and maybe that charge will help you "start finishing" the others.

Darren

katiebear1 07-09-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
When I first started quilting, I heard ladies talk about have several things going at once. I said 'I don't like to do that, I want to finish one thing before I start another'. I didn't understand the concept of jumping from one project to another. Guess what? I have about five things going on, as we speak. It doesn't take long to change our thinking.

That is what I said too! I have only been quilting a year and I have 2 quilts sandwiched and ready to quilt, 1 top that needs to be sandwiched and quilted and 2 quilts cut out. I am just finising quilting another one for my sis b'day. Also have 30 blocks done for a sampler quilt that will need 30 more.

sew_lulu 07-09-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Put numbers on them. Put same numbers in a bowl. Pick a number. :-D

Great suggestion! I'll just have to do that. Hopefully, I get something done this weekend.