Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feeling torn between projects (WIP) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-torn-between-projects-wip-t53553.html)

sew_lulu 07-09-2010 06:28 AM

I have 3 tops finished and another top that is almost done but yet I can't get back in gear to get it done. I feel guilty choosing one over the other. Urgg... I need to stop thinking about it and just do it!

Am I the only one feeling this way? :oops:

Pam 07-09-2010 06:29 AM

I have 16! I am feelin' your pain, and I know where that pain is.

sew_lulu 07-09-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I have 16! I am feelin' your pain, and I know where that pain is.

I knew there's someone here feeling the way I do. Plus there's so much more that I want to do.

raptureready 07-09-2010 06:36 AM

I have somewhere between 20 and 30 tops waiting to be quilted. I call them my "Ladies in Waiting", I have at least a dozen WIP and UFO's. I catagorize them by:
Started and don't want to finish=UFO
Actually working on them or planning to=WIP
Top done but not quilted=LIW

If you're having quilter's block start something new. LOL

ckcowl 07-09-2010 07:00 AM

a couple years ago it seemed like i couldn't finish anything, i would be working along just fine then reach that special point where there is 'end-in-site' and i would lay it aside and start something new...i had about 20 different projects in various stages none needing more than a couple hours/or an afternoon and they would be done.then i started thinking about the state of things...so last year i decided i was not starting anything new till i finished up last years...so that lasted about a week (i think i did get 2 of them done) then when i realized i was back to my old bad ways i decided i would finish one thing before i started anything new...so that helped a bit and i managed to get a couple more done...sometimes i think of it almost as a sickness...
this year, in the past month, i really became serious about some of this, decided to be ruthless and honest with myself and take another look at the ufo's...so the ones i know i will never go back to for what ever reason i am passing on, the ones i intend to finish are out and in the way...if i want to sew i have to sew on one of those...i also have 4 or 5 tops done that i just need to get loaded up and quilt...my excuse? i haven't decided their fate yet...when i have an occassion or certain person in mind for a project i get it done, if it's just because i want to make it, learn a new technique try something new those are the ones i dont seem to ever get done

KathyAire 07-09-2010 07:10 AM

When I first started quilting, I heard ladies talk about have several things going at once. I said 'I don't like to do that, I want to finish one thing before I start another'. I didn't understand the concept of jumping from one project to another. Guess what? I have about five things going on, as we speak. It doesn't take long to change our thinking.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-09-2010 07:11 AM

I love Ladies in Waiting- so cute!!!
Do we all have Quilter's ADD or something?? I'm trying to finish my king D9P and I'm so tired of looking at it! I know I will love it when it's done but right now it's just looking boring!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I think the ONLY time I had one thing going at once was my very first quilt :mrgreen:

Ripped on Scotch 07-09-2010 07:11 AM

I have a lot of WIP... ones that I look at and all ways think why in the world did I agree to that again? Still eventually it will be done I hope.

I did however figure out one thing, I was asked to do a trunk show last year to my guild. Let me tell you... there is nothing like the motivation of having to finish things up so that you have something that you can actually show for a trunk show. The show was my mom, my sister and myself. My mom finished 5 of her WIPs, my sister did 2 and I finished 4.

Now my motivation is that I'm moving in 2 weeks... and I want to have some tops to bring with me when I stay at my mothers for a week (she has a Gammill that I use often) I hope to finish one or 2 quilts when I am there that week.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-09-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
a couple years ago it seemed like i couldn't finish anything, i would be working along just fine then reach that special point where there is 'end-in-site' and i would lay it aside and start something new...i had about 20 different projects in various stages none needing more than a couple hours/or an afternoon and they would be done.then i started thinking about the state of things...so last year i decided i was not starting anything new till i finished up last years...so that lasted about a week (i think i did get 2 of them done) then when i realized i was back to my old bad ways i decided i would finish one thing before i started anything new...so that helped a bit and i managed to get a couple more done...sometimes i think of it almost as a sickness...
this year, in the past month, i really became serious about some of this, decided to be ruthless and honest with myself and take another look at the ufo's...so the ones i know i will never go back to for what ever reason i am passing on, the ones i intend to finish are out and in the way...if i want to sew i have to sew on one of those...i also have 4 or 5 tops done that i just need to get loaded up and quilt...my excuse? i haven't decided their fate yet...when i have an occassion or certain person in mind for a project i get it done, if it's just because i want to make it, learn a new technique try something new those are the ones i dont seem to ever get done

Oh yes! You made several really good points! I mentioned in another post that if I know in my heart something isn't going to get finished I also let it go. I give it to someone else or Goodwill. It is a good feeling to let it go. Never thought I'd say that.

Pam 07-09-2010 07:29 AM

If there is something that you really will not finish, why not post it here? I am sure someone else would like it, I am going to go see what I can part with. I have no idea why I get so attached to stuff I do not want to finish.