Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fickle Quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fickle-quilter-t228682.html)

Neesie 08-24-2013 05:20 PM

Fickle Quilter?

How many of y'all start out with fabrics you love . . . and half-way through the quilt top, decide you're not so crazy about them, after all? I just did this . . . again. Went ahead and finished the top (minus borders) and guess I'll just set it aside, for now. :rolleyes:

I have a new bunch of fabric, waiting to be cut and made into a D9P. I know I'll love it, all the way through. Yeah, I'm sure about this next one. :thumbup:

Lovequilting22 08-24-2013 05:54 PM

That happened to me just recently! And now I'm not sure because its a gift for Christmas! Argh! It looked so pretty before. I'll make do. :)

dunster 08-24-2013 06:13 PM

I hadn't thought of it as being fickle, but I'm usually sick and tired of the fabrics I'm using by the time I finish a quilt. A few days (or weeks) later they start to regain their appeal, and months later I'm in love with them again.

Misty's Mom 08-24-2013 06:17 PM

It's happened to me too.

0tis 08-24-2013 06:32 PM

Ditto... I have many projects that I get so excited over - then I start another one - I really need to finish before buying more fabric and starting more projects. Sigh...

Dina 08-24-2013 06:55 PM

When this happens, I just put the finished quilt up and look at it again in a few weeks. Normally it looks just fine then and I wonder why I was disappointed.

Dina

Neesie 08-24-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6253642)
When this happens, I just put the finished quilt up and look at it again in a few weeks. Normally it looks just fine then and I wonder why I was disappointed.

Dina

This is what I'm hoping will happen, with mine. :rolleyes:

Jan in VA 08-24-2013 10:08 PM

Look at how many of us this happens to!

Maybe we should consider a trade where-in each quilter passes an unfinished/not-really-wanted-any-more top (or part of one) to another member to finish and share with the board in pictures before AND afterward. Each member could decide whether they want their quilt back, or whether they want to pass it along to the finisher, or send it on to a community donation project.

I'm not at a place where I can take this project on but would find it interesting if someone else did!

Jan in VA

Nilla 08-25-2013 01:44 AM

For me, it's not so much that I get sick of a fabric, it's that I'm not very good at imagining what all the fabrics will look like together once they're cut and sewn up, so once I get into a project I often end up realizing that maybe one fabric doesn't play nice with the others or two colors are too similar and too close together or etc etc etc. I am getting better and I frequently remind myself that as long as I enjoy the process, who cares if I change my mind along the way.

I've been focusing more on scrappies lately, so I haven't been having that problem, thank goodness, and besides, changing my mind just adds more fabric to my stash.

carolaug 08-25-2013 02:16 AM

I just make a quilt top using 12 inch blocks. I am thinking that its too bold and not what my son would like...not sure if I should slice the top so its smaller. I like it but not loving it. I have made two quilts since I have finished this top.