Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fickle Quilter?

Fickle Quilter?

How many of y'all start out with fabrics you love . . . and half-way through the quilt top, decide you're not so crazy about them, after all? I just did this . . . again. Went ahead and finished the top (minus borders) and guess I'll just set it aside, for now.

I have a new bunch of fabric, waiting to be cut and made into a D9P. I know I'll love it, all the way through. Yeah, I'm sure about this next one.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    That happened to me just recently! And now I'm not sure because its a gift for Christmas! Argh! It looked so pretty before. I'll make do.

I hadn't thought of it as being fickle, but I'm usually sick and tired of the fabrics I'm using by the time I finish a quilt. A few days (or weeks) later they start to regain their appeal, and months later I'm in love with them again.

It's happened to me too.

Ditto... I have many projects that I get so excited over - then I start another one - I really need to finish before buying more fabric and starting more projects. Sigh...

When this happens, I just put the finished quilt up and look at it again in a few weeks. Normally it looks just fine then and I wonder why I was disappointed.

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    When this happens, I just put the finished quilt up and look at it again in a few weeks. Normally it looks just fine then and I wonder why I was disappointed.

Dina
    This is what I'm hoping will happen, with mine.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Look at how many of us this happens to!

Maybe we should consider a trade where-in each quilter passes an unfinished/not-really-wanted-any-more top (or part of one) to another member to finish and share with the board in pictures before AND afterward. Each member could decide whether they want their quilt back, or whether they want to pass it along to the finisher, or send it on to a community donation project.

I'm not at a place where I can take this project on but would find it interesting if someone else did!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

For me, it's not so much that I get sick of a fabric, it's that I'm not very good at imagining what all the fabrics will look like together once they're cut and sewn up, so once I get into a project I often end up realizing that maybe one fabric doesn't play nice with the others or two colors are too similar and too close together or etc etc etc. I am getting better and I frequently remind myself that as long as I enjoy the process, who cares if I change my mind along the way.

I've been focusing more on scrappies lately, so I haven't been having that problem, thank goodness, and besides, changing my mind just adds more fabric to my stash.

Blog Entries
    I just make a quilt top using 12 inch blocks. I am thinking that its too bold and not what my son would like...not sure if I should slice the top so its smaller. I like it but not loving it. I have made two quilts since I have finished this top.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever fallen out of love with a fabric. Once I love it, I love it. Now, the entire project, that may cause me to consider separation, at least for a while, but I blame that on the pattern, not the poor, innocent, beautiful fabric.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

When you work with them for any lenght of time you can get tired of it but after a break from it they are great again.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I just make a quilt top using 12 inch blocks. I am thinking that its too bold and not what my son would like...not sure if I should slice the top so its smaller. I like it but not loving it. I have made two quilts since I have finished this top.
    This may be a crazy idea . . . but suppose you treat the entire top, like you would a D9P? Cut here and there (through blocks), then piece it back together, in a different order.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

I wonder if that's why I have trouble finishing some things....
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    How many of y'all start out with fabrics you love . . . and half-way through the quilt top, decide you're not so crazy about them, after all? I just did this . . . again. Went ahead and finished the top (minus borders) and guess I'll just set it aside, for now.

I have a new bunch of fabric, waiting to be cut and made into a D9P. I know I'll love it, all the way through. Yeah, I'm sure about this next one.
    Yes, this happened to me. I have a quilt on the frame awaiting quilting, and I'm just hoping the recipient doesn't hate it.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Yup! Just finished a top for sisters Christmas gift...don't like it at all but she's getting it any way!

Blog Entries
    It's happened to me. I think it's just because I get tired of looking at the fabric while I'm working on the quilt. It usually looks better after I put it away and come back to it. . . usually but not always.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love the fabric but have a pattern I bought especially for it, I'm not so crazy about.

When working with scrappies, I find by the time I get it done, I like it. I like matchy matchy and scrappies just boggle me because everything doesn't match. I like most all my quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My problem is that so much of my fabric was purchased years ago and my tastes have changed...

I kind of know by now what to avoid making. I made a quilt for DD and even though others just loved it, it was very blah for me. I try to finish all my quilts, I figure someone else will love them, even if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    When working with scrappies, I find by the time I get it done, I like it. I like matchy matchy and scrappies just boggle me because everything doesn't match. I like most all my quilts.
    *Ditto for me~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I kind of know by now what to avoid making. I made a quilt for DD and even though others just loved it, it was very blah for me. I try to finish all my quilts, I figure someone else will love them, even if I don't.
    Guess it's always good to have a "ready-to-finish" quilt top, even if it isn't my favorite. It's twin-sized, so will be relatively easy to finish, if and when. Was planning on it being an ample sofa-throw.

I finally got all of my new fabrics washed . . . and am now re-thinking a few of them. Better now, than after I start sewing!
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

As others have mentioned, I think it is just familiarity. I gave my daughter a UFO I finally finished this year. Saw it at her house recently and was stunned at how much I like it.

I found a Bali Pop I liked for a quilt for a girlfriend and am making a friendship braid quilt. The problem I have is not that I am tired of the fabric. I have changed the way I choose the next piece several times and wish I had stumbled on the final method (pull out of a hat) first. I had to buy another pack of fabric so that the braid is consistent, and have put it away for a week or two. I will pick it up and finish it (has to be soon as it is a Christmas present). But sometimes experimenting with choosing colors and a pattern can make you dislike the fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast