Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fickle Quilter? >

Fickle Quilter?

Fickle Quilter?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 AM

I kind of know by now what to avoid making. I made a quilt for DD and even though others just loved it, it was very blah for me. I try to finish all my quilts, I figure someone else will love them, even if I don't.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
When working with scrappies, I find by the time I get it done, I like it. I like matchy matchy and scrappies just boggle me because everything doesn't match. I like most all my quilts.
*Ditto for me~
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I kind of know by now what to avoid making. I made a quilt for DD and even though others just loved it, it was very blah for me. I try to finish all my quilts, I figure someone else will love them, even if I don't.
Guess it's always good to have a "ready-to-finish" quilt top, even if it isn't my favorite. It's twin-sized, so will be relatively easy to finish, if and when. Was planning on it being an ample sofa-throw.

I finally got all of my new fabrics washed . . . and am now re-thinking a few of them. Better now, than after I start sewing!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 AM

As others have mentioned, I think it is just familiarity. I gave my daughter a UFO I finally finished this year. Saw it at her house recently and was stunned at how much I like it.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 AM

I found a Bali Pop I liked for a quilt for a girlfriend and am making a friendship braid quilt. The problem I have is not that I am tired of the fabric. I have changed the way I choose the next piece several times and wish I had stumbled on the final method (pull out of a hat) first. I had to buy another pack of fabric so that the braid is consistent, and have put it away for a week or two. I will pick it up and finish it (has to be soon as it is a Christmas present). But sometimes experimenting with choosing colors and a pattern can make you dislike the fabric.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Sometimes I feel that way, but mostly, I change my mind once it's quilted and the binding added. If I still don't like it for myself, I give it away to a local charity. Everybody's idea of "pretty" varies and I know that someone will like it..
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 AM

Fickle is the word for me. About the time I get far enough into a project to see where it's headed I'm tired of it and eager to start the next thing. It's not that I don't like the one I'm working on, but the novelty has worn off and there are so many other things more enticing at the moment. Sometimes I'm going through my stash looking for just the right border to finish the current project and all of a sudden three or four fabrics just jump out and tell me they want to play together right now. Then they sit in a pretty little stack at the side of the cutting table just pleading for attention. The only reason I am not going for it is that I know I will kick myself if the current one becomes a UFO.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by cheriami View Post
My problem is that so much of my fabric was purchased years ago and my tastes have changed...
This is part of my problem. I have also learned that with the types of quilts I enjoy making, small prints and fabrics that read as solids are what works for me. I try to avoid large-scale and novelty prints.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Look at how many of us this happens to!

Maybe we should consider a trade where-in each quilter passes an unfinished/not-really-wanted-any-more top (or part of one) to another member to finish and share with the board in pictures before AND afterward. Each member could decide whether they want their quilt back, or whether they want to pass it along to the finisher, or send it on to a community donation project.

I'm not at a place where I can take this project on but would find it interesting if someone else did!

Jan in VA
Do you realize what a terrific idea this is. Your a genius. I'm taking this one to my next quilt get together.

Dingle