Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally Quilting a Big One (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-quilting-big-one-t27759.html)

Boston1954 10-28-2009 05:12 AM

My poor sister cannot hand quilt because of her arthritis. I feel bad that she has to tie all of hers. I have a bit of the stiffness and pain myself but it is not so bad. I want to hand quilt as much as I can before it takes over my abilities too. My stitches are not always even, but I love doing it. Hubby always loves it when I give him one.

DJ 10-28-2009 05:40 AM

I'll join you! I hope to start hand-quilting my 96x112 soon. As yours, it will be simple straint-line quilting. I'm planning to tie mine first, put the binding on, put it on the bed, and take it off when I want to work on the hand-quilting.

Dix 10-29-2009 08:25 AM

Hi, I noticed you are in Okla. sometime. Where are you now? Did I see you on the chat line a few days ago? I am in OKC. I just started hand quilting a queen size with 12 inch blocks. Have one and a half one done. I had one that was king size and it took 5 years, off and on to finish. I would get tired of it and put it up many times. I finished it only this summer and it was really pretty. I am glad I stuck with it.
Dix

kd124 10-29-2009 11:12 AM

Good for you!!! I really admire people that hand quilt, especially when it is a big quilt.

Boston1954 10-29-2009 11:28 AM

Hey, Dix. I am still in Oklahoma. It is about 18 to Fort Smith, AR. I am originally from Massachusetts.

Dix 10-29-2009 12:58 PM

We have a big quilt show in Jan. Do you know about it?
Dix

Campbell34 10-29-2009 01:17 PM

I am not real good at hand quilting either , My stitches are not equal in size or anything but a quilt is not finished until you quilt it and this one needed to be done by hand,with a scalloped binding, will my stitches ever be perfect ?? NO. But I did a Tree of life last year , took me forever to applique and quilt it , My husband thinks it is wonderful, I won a blue ribbon at last years Co fair in Kingman Az. In 2007 I did a grandmothers fan with , the fans were authentic 1930's material, and the sashing and border were Aunt Gracies reproduction material, I won a blue ribbon for it too, Of course our little fair is a podunky little thing , bu I entered them any way for the fun of it, a little competition never hurt any body,I entered my Jouney quilt this year but it did not get judged because they could not find my mailed in entry form, Next year I will send my form by certified mail,

Boston1954 10-29-2009 06:02 PM

Sure wish I could go to a big quilt show but, I worry about leaving the dog and cats for any length of time.

I had three of my quilts in a show here, a few months ago. I did not even get honorable mention. It kind of hurt.

76 and counting 11-01-2009 12:35 PM

good for you it took me 1 year to do a Grandma"s flower garden I have a short arm quilter. It is hard for me to hand quilt because of a stroke, I have no feeling in my left side i love hand quilting.

Campbell34 11-01-2009 01:57 PM

Where is your Quilt Show going to be ?