Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally tried Gutermann thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-tried-gutermann-thread-t194304.html)

tngal22 07-11-2012 12:10 PM

I use C&C now and I have alot of lint from it after a project thus the reason I thought about trying a new brand. I will clean my machine and try it again. It had some lint on it from the project before when I used C&C. If it continues to do well, I will probably buy more Gutermann just due to the feel and the low lint. And it is 100% cotton.

quiltstringz 07-11-2012 12:19 PM

I have tried them all and Aurifil is my favorite. As to Cost - yes it is more than Mettler of Guetterman but you are also getting at least twice as much thread. So the spool costs more but lasts a lot longer

ckcowl 07-11-2012 12:19 PM

i seldom pay any attention to a 'brand name'---i buy what is there- that is the right color- the right strength/weight for my project- so i have quite a selection-
i've had a few (quite expensive) threads i picked up at shows that my machine doesn't like- but i have a different machine that isn't so picky- and i can always use them for hand stitching-
when i first bought my viking the dealer told me to NEVER use coats & clark thread in it---made it sound as if i would do irreparable harm if i did---i was worried for the first 6 months or so---then one day i was working on something and needed a particular color- had the color & it was a C&C...i thought---well, what's the worse that can happen? and loaded it up---it worked just fine- the machine didn't start smoking & convulsing...since then i just don't worry about what brand it is- i use what i need or want at the time...& if i do have problems with one i just set it aside to use with a different machine- or i stick it into my hand project box...i like lots of different ones.

Nanaquilts44 07-11-2012 12:24 PM

Have used Gutterman and Mettler with no problems. Mostly use the Aurifil - I can get it easier and really like it.

BellaBoo 07-11-2012 01:17 PM

C&C is now sponsoring a lot of quilt designer/makers and national charity quilting events. You will start to see C&C get endorsed as the thread to use like the other top brands.

burchquilts 07-11-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 5356620)
My Janome likes every kind of thread I use with it. She is very accommodating.
Sue

Ditto my little Featherweight. I like Gutermann. But I have to confess, one thing I'm not picky about is thread (that's about the only thing, tho... LOL!). I used to buy that 5 for $1 or (whatever the price was) in bins at Walmart. But Hancock's has thread on sale fairly often as does CT, so now I use "better" thread. I'm only picky about the colors. I, do, tho find that some threads are easier to use for handwork than others.

tngal22 07-11-2012 03:25 PM

Well JoAnn's is having Gutermann on sale starting Sunday, 40% off! Time to stock up.

elizajo 07-11-2012 04:02 PM

Since I can buy Gutterman cotton thread locally at Hancock Fabrics and Jo-Anns, I buy it for sewing natural fiber clothing and quilting. There seems to be a bigger selection of colors now. I do have to use a leader square to keep the thread from pulling out of the needle with the first stitch because the thread curls.

For synthetics, I still like Mettler Metrosene. Fancier cotton threads have to be ordered online. My quilting isn't good enough for that yet!

MadQuilter 07-11-2012 04:03 PM

Coats and CLark has given my Baby Lock fits but everything else works like a charm.

In my class, a lady had some Guetterman that came off the spool in tight little ringlets. The gal at the store said that it was probably the end of the batch and it was wound too tightly. If that happens the person should return it immediately for a replacement or refund.

JJean 07-11-2012 04:24 PM

I switched from Guterman to Connecting Threads and now back to Guterman. I got so much lint from the Connecting thread. I decided the extra cost was worth it. Will try to make the sale at Joann's. The Quilting Board is wonderful--thanks for this thread --pun indeed!