Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finished 90 year old Sun Bonnets top, now need quilting advise! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finished-90-year-old-sun-bonnets-top-now-need-quilting-advise-t282953.html)

Janan 10-12-2016 06:25 AM

Finished 90 year old Sun Bonnets top, now need quilting advise!

3 Attachment(s)
I have finished the quilt top of my 99 year old mother-in-law's SBS. Now I need quilting advise.

It has been recommended that I hand quilt so to keep the vintage look so I have been studying online different hand quilting techniques and I want your advise!

First, what thread should I use? I posted a picture showing the backing along with some Aurifil 50 weight thread in pretty colors. But I read that I should use 12 weight thread. I've also read posts about Perle cotton thread. If I could get away with using what I already have, that would be great. Suggestions?

Second, should I use a variety of colors or just stick with a white the shade of the dolls background fabric. I don't want to detract from the dolls, but it might be fun to enhance the dolls with color. I know I will get a variety of opinions, but bring them on!

Third, should I quilt around the dolls, quilt 1/4 inch inside the seams, or both?

Fourth, I posted a picture of the quilt top with the purple showing as binding. I also posted a picture of the top with just the yellow border. I have enough fabric of both the purple and the yellow for binding. Which do you like?

Side note: The 90 year old crochet lace you see has not been sewn down yet. I just laid it out like I intend to do it. I will also anchor the lace with buttons from my deceased mother's button box in the corners. This will be a family heirloom passed down to our 9 year old grandaughter when she is old enough, (maybe 90 or so, lol)

I've never done this, so I look forward to your advise.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560151[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560153[/ATTACH]

Annie68 10-12-2016 06:53 AM

I would quilt around the dolls and and 1/4 inch inside each block. Any of the colors would look good as would the color of the background for the quilting. The crochet is beautiful. I like the purple for binding. Good luck with the quilting, it will be a lovely heirloom when finished.

Janan 10-12-2016 07:40 AM

Can I use the 50 wt thread I already have? Should I use all of the colors or just stick with the purple throughout the whole quilt?

Wonnie 10-12-2016 08:01 AM

Your quilt is stunning! I would, also, quilt 1/4" away from and around the dolls and 1/4" away from seams. I wouldn't clutter up the rest of the white surrounding each doll with quilting.....just my opinion. What batting did you use? I love the black stitching on the Sunbonnet Sue's.....really makes them both pop and stand out from each other. I know you would love to use colors but, personally, if it were mine I would just use white to quilt around the dolls but I would continue the black to quilt 1/4" away from seams surrounding the dolls. I prefer the purple for bindings.....it frames the quilt nicely but doesn't take away from the quilt proper where the focus should be.

Genden 10-12-2016 08:21 AM

I am a hand quilter and have quilted and quilted on many quilts over the years. I have also looked at many antique quilts. In my opinion, you should hand quilt this quilt with quilting thread. I prefer YLI brand quilting thread. I would use the neutral off white color that matches your background fabric. The Sunbonnet Sues should be quilted about 1/8" from the dolls. The sashing should be quilted 1/8" into the background fabric. The background fabric around the dolls can be quilted in a variety of ways to fill the space--perhaps meandering, echo, or a design like small flowers. The cross hatch quilting pattern in the white space is also vintage and would look nice. I would google and see if I could find some similar quilts already quilted for ideas. I do believe the hand quilting will be easier with quilting thread and you will be happier with a neutral off white than a color. Off white would be authentic to an earlier time and not detract from the colorful dolls. You have done a beautiful job. I also love the lace. What a treasure.

Prism99 10-12-2016 08:25 AM

I wouldn't use your 50wt Aurifil; it's too weak for hand quilting. Better to buy an actual hand quilting thread. These threads are treated to stiffen them so they don't tangle easily.

jbj137 10-12-2016 08:27 AM

*** It is beautiful. Love the crochet. Use a thread matching the background.

Up North 10-12-2016 08:36 AM

Oh I have to pull my poor old tattered childhood sunbonnet quit out and see how it was hand quilted. One year my mom framed a block for me then years later said I have your quilt but for some reason a block is missing. I had to tell her she had given me the framed block. I just have not sat down with it to see if it is repairable

Janan 10-12-2016 08:40 AM

Thanks Wonnie! I used Warm and White. I hope it will be good for hand quilting?????

Up North 10-12-2016 08:43 AM

Sadly I pulled it out and no hand quilting just stitch in the ditch and the missing square appears to be cut out of it. Some work there to repair I guess. So no help on my end I know it is at least 60 years old.