Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First of all, to each His/Her own!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-all-each-his-her-own-t133996.html)

leaha 06-29-2011 08:50 AM

what a shame she is missing so much by not going to a quilt show, every show I have been to has some thing for every one!

GrannieAnnie 06-29-2011 09:04 AM

A couple of the ladies at my church put out a contract on me for taking the raffle quilt to a LAQ. No one wants to take the time to do the hand quilting, and I personally hate hand quilting, although I enjoy the piecing. A few of the ladies who po-poed my having the quilt done by machine have decided that they LOVE this quilt.

Robinlee 06-29-2011 09:09 AM

I love trying to new things.

ghostrider 06-29-2011 09:15 AM

Unless it's in regard to a safety issue, I just don't listen when someone says to always or never do something. Generally they're just too full of their own importance. :lol:

Painiacs 06-29-2011 09:26 AM

Good for you!! Hey the first quilters did that where would we be?? Still doing nine patches only!! You never know what you can make or do if you don't try!!

psychonurse 06-29-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Linda what a great topic. I was feeling kinda blue because I read that some quilters "only" use LQS fabrics or "only" use expensive threads. I'm unemployed so I use what I can afford. Call me a cheap date or a fabric slut, but my quilts turn out just fine and my machine sews best with good ol' Coates & Clark thread.
I really don't think there are any "only"s or "must do"s--just enjoy what you do and do it with love.

I like this attitude.

quiltingb1 06-29-2011 09:54 AM

Breaking the rules in quilting is called "creativity"!! How boring it would be if we all made our quilts exactly alike. I will try any and all techniques, fabrics, threads, whatever. Some are "keepers" and others are not for me but may be perfect for someone else. say each of us should do what makes you happy.

gaigai 06-29-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
It always surprises me when someone says "I would NEVER do/try/use/ or whatever". My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".

My response to that is that people who use washers and dryers are cheating too. They need to go down to the river and beat the clothes on rocks. Or that driving in a car is cheating, they need to still use horses. Or that the next time they have an infection, they should shun antibiotics and use leeches instead. And my final comeback: The dinosaurs are dead and good riddance!!

emerald46 06-29-2011 09:55 AM

Why limit yourself..if it's available and you can, try it! GreatStarter those years were not wasted!!

Deborahlees 06-29-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Linda what a great topic. I was feeling kinda blue because I read that some quilters "only" use LQS fabrics or "only" use expensive threads. I'm unemployed so I use what I can afford. Call me a cheap date or a fabric slut, but my quilts turn out just fine and my machine sews best with good ol' Coates & Clark thread.
I really don't think there are any "only"s or "must do"s--just enjoy what you do and do it with love.

I agree, I agree, I agree......