Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First completed Whole Cloth Practice quilt using New Baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-completed-whole-cloth-practice-quilt-using-new-baby-t244003.html)

TeresaA 03-27-2014 07:17 AM

Yes, the improvement is definitely there. Looks great. I think if you were quilting in a matching color most of the imperfections would be fairly un-obvious. I see some puckering in the non-quilted areas that make me wonder if you are getting your top tight enough...or maybe you're just using fairly lofty batting? It should be tight but not too tight.

Anyway, you're well on your way. Have fun!

TeresaA 03-27-2014 07:40 AM

A note: I loved visiting the Inbox Jaunt. Her designs are refreshing and the tutorials excellent. That said, the original poster should not feel discouraged if she can't do these designs well on her quilter. I have found as a rookie at both domestic free motion quilting and longarm quilting that the small, intricate designs are much easier to do on a domestic (assuming the quilt sandwich is small in size).

I think that is greatly to do with the lack, on non-computerized quilter, of the ability to slow down. Quilters on frames do not typically have foot pedals, so without stitch regulation, the two speeds are stop and go.

AnnieSue 03-27-2014 07:48 AM

Isn't it amazing how hours of practice actually make a big difference. Don't tell my mom.

Doggramma 03-27-2014 10:39 AM

Definite improvement! You have the beginnings of some nice shapes for fillers and sashings. I have a problem with feathers. Need them drawn out or I start getting way off on the loopy parts. Practice, practice, practice so your it's imbedded in the brain!

Dina 03-27-2014 10:51 AM

I think it looks great. You are ready for a real quilt, I think!

Dina

TeresaA 03-27-2014 12:23 PM

Ooops, I read my post after the editing window had expired. Sorry for the editing wierdness that led to a non-sensical sentence.. I hope you can make some sense of it.

twinkie 03-27-2014 02:55 PM

Thank you all for the nice comments. I feel I am improving slightly but need a lot of practice. I am going to do a baby quilt top (that I am not real happy with) in a meandering pattern as I feel comfortable doint that with the machine. I will try not to bore everyone with my progress but I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to do FMQ on larger projects. Thanks again

solstice3 03-28-2014 03:49 AM

I need lessons from you! :-)

scrapinmema 03-28-2014 04:09 AM

Can see the improvement and you are doing a great job.

fireworkslover 03-28-2014 05:06 AM

Practice, practice, practice. I think using a dry erase board or pencil and paper would help you a lot. Keep drawing the same design until you can achieve sameness with the shape. Looking at your stitched practice whole cloth, it seems like you'd stitch a short line of something and then switch to something else. This skill does take a lot of practice. Think of how long it took you to learn cursive writing?