Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First time online fabric purchase... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-time-online-fabric-purchase-t36164.html)

Beachbound 02-08-2010 03:23 PM

I can't wait for my order to arrive! Haven't heard yet when they shipped it but I hope it's soon. I am well into the quilting on my latest quilt & already planning my next one. Life is good!

no1jan 02-09-2010 02:56 AM

I personally would never purchase online with my own credit card or ATM card.

To get around this, I purchase a Visa card from my local store and use that to purchase the item.

I used to be a programmer and know for a fact how fast you could get hacked. The business (which was government) was hacked within 20 min. We had to bring the whole system down. If that can happen, anything can.

Remember even Sarah Palin's e-mail was hacked when she was running for president.

I'm sorry to be so leary, but I worked with some weirdo's who thought it was a game to hack. To them it was like solving a puzzle.

To me it is much better to pay the extra fee then to have my identity stolen.

beachlady 02-10-2010 03:21 PM

I looked at the batiks and they were beautiful. Did not order tho and it is probably too late now.

Chele 02-10-2010 03:25 PM

Uh oh, you've discovered a fun outlet. And you can shop in your pjs! I think you'll be thrilled with your online purchase.

I have one credit card I use for online purchases. I don't use it for anything else. Reputable credit card companies will not charge you for purchases you didn't make. Just keep an eye on your charges and you'll be fine. No one is going to steal your identity with your credit card number.

And if you're really paranoid, open a PayPal account. You only give PayPal your credit card number. They process payments for you and never share your credit card information with the vendor.

Pat and pups 02-10-2010 03:33 PM

A store with good customer service is to be treasured. I once ordered from a quilt shop and got the wrong order. I called and got the owner who acted like it was my fault. She asked me to send the purchase back and she'd reimburse me. It cost me $5.40 and my time and effort to return it. She sent me the right order with a $5 bill stuffed in it. IMO she should have stuffed a FQ in too. Needless to say, I won't be ordering anything else from that store.

As for using credit cards--I have a card I use only for online and telephone purchases. I have a different one I use at local stores. I figure if the online one got hacked, I's still have the other one.

IrishNY 02-10-2010 03:50 PM

I have to respond to the posters who don't want to put their credit card information online. Every time you hand to a clerk or waiter, they have the chance to use the information, sell to someone else or just give it away. Someone who is intent can take the information from your mail or garbage. And the information is already online - every credit card company in the world store their records in electronic files.

If you use only sites that are secure and encripted, you are about as safe as you can be.

lindy 02-10-2010 04:55 PM

The reason I won't use our credit card online is because someone did steal my brother's card # from online and racked up a few thousand dollars before it was caught!

pinklissamel 02-10-2010 06:37 PM

Oh wow they are having a sale SCORE!!!!!! i just bought some very bright batiks after saying i need to not buy for a while and use some of what I have ha, ha that didnt happen, I could not resist. Just wasnt gonna happen not today anyways. Yippee hope they ship quick cant wait to get them!!!!

Beachbound 02-11-2010 08:05 AM

Just got a phone call from them~ they only had 1 yard left of one of my fabrics. Bummer!!! Silly me told them to ship it anyway without thinking to add another yard of something else.