Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fixing my binding... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fixing-my-binding-t72579.html)

miholmes 10-27-2010 06:47 AM

Okay, so on my latest quilt I decided to try doing my binding with 2 1/2 inch strips, and leaving 1/4 of batting around my quilt to help "fill the binding". Then applying the binding. (Hope that helps create the visual)

I apply my dining by sewing it to the back and then top stitching the front. (I know...I'm LAZY! But I don't have any love for handwork. :) )

So it was all swell, and then I washed it and there was just a TAD more shrinkage then I would have liked so there are a few spots where I need to take out the top stitching and pull the binding over more.

I just wondered if anyone had this happen, and if basically removing some top stitches pulling the binding over and re-top stitching is the best thing to do. Let me know your thoughts. :)

Candace 10-27-2010 06:59 AM

Nope since I always prewash my fabric so this sort of thing doesn't happen ;>

GrammaO 10-27-2010 07:14 AM

I sew my binding on the same way. I love to hand stitch it, but usually I just don't have the time. So far I haven't had this problem, or if I did I just didn't really notice it. I don't care for a really tight look or feel; I like the quilts to be a little more fluffy and soft, so maybe that's why I never noticed. Prewashing would probably make a difference, but I'm one of those (gasp) that doesn't prewash my fabric.

miholmes 10-27-2010 07:20 AM

Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

littlehud 10-27-2010 07:39 AM

I don't prewash either. I sew mine to the front and hand stitch on the back.

Candace 10-27-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.

miholmes 10-27-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by miholmes

I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.

Okay call me dumb.....but I never thought of this before....your fabric is prewashed and NOT the batting....lol so I will still get the nice look when I prewash my fabrics? Good to know....probably won't start doing that :) But I never really thougt of it that way before. :)

Boopers 10-27-2010 08:33 AM

Sew your binding n with a wider than 1/4 inch seam. I usually use a 3/8 inch seam. Then when you flip your binding to the front it will cover the edge of your top.

mollymct 10-27-2010 08:39 AM

I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!

miholmes 10-27-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!

EXACTLY! :P