Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fixing my binding...

Okay, so on my latest quilt I decided to try doing my binding with 2 1/2 inch strips, and leaving 1/4 of batting around my quilt to help "fill the binding". Then applying the binding. (Hope that helps create the visual)

I apply my dining by sewing it to the back and then top stitching the front. (I know...I'm LAZY! But I don't have any love for handwork. :) )

So it was all swell, and then I washed it and there was just a TAD more shrinkage then I would have liked so there are a few spots where I need to take out the top stitching and pull the binding over more.

I just wondered if anyone had this happen, and if basically removing some top stitches pulling the binding over and re-top stitching is the best thing to do. Let me know your thoughts. :)

Nope since I always prewash my fabric so this sort of thing doesn't happen ;>

Blog Entries
    I sew my binding on the same way. I love to hand stitch it, but usually I just don't have the time. So far I haven't had this problem, or if I did I just didn't really notice it. I don't care for a really tight look or feel; I like the quilts to be a little more fluffy and soft, so maybe that's why I never noticed. Prewashing would probably make a difference, but I'm one of those (gasp) that doesn't prewash my fabric.

Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

I don't prewash either. I sew mine to the front and hand stitch on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace

Okay call me dumb.....but I never thought of this before....your fabric is prewashed and NOT the batting....lol so I will still get the nice look when I prewash my fabrics? Good to know....probably won't start doing that :) But I never really thougt of it that way before. :)

Blog Entries
    Sew your binding n with a wider than 1/4 inch seam. I usually use a 3/8 inch seam. Then when you flip your binding to the front it will cover the edge of your top.

I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!

Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!
    EXACTLY! :P

On my quilts I sew to the front and hand stitch to the back and leave the 1/4' of the batting for fullness. But on children's quilts and other things like wall hangings I do the back to the front and stich with the machine. You have to be careful to make sure you are stitching on the fold. I have seen it done too with a tack or hemming stitch but I have not tried it yet. When you use that method you sew along the fold I think and the tack stitch holds it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Me too! It doesn't matter if you prewash your fabrics; if you don't prewash cotton batting, there will still be shrinkage.

I've done a test, both with and without prewashing the fabrics, made potholders using cotton batting. There is a minimally greater amount of shrinkage if you DO prewash the fabric, because if the fabrics aren't prewashed, the batting shrinks AND the fabric shrinks, leaving the total amount of shrinkage and "wrinkling" a little less. But the difference isn't enough to matter one way or another.

Of course, all of that about shrinkage has nothing to do with the orignal question about binding. I haven't had that particular thing happen with my bindings, but if I did, I'd probably do as the OP suggested: rip the stitches in the problem spots, pull the binding down, and re-topstich.

unless it is for a gift or glaringly obvious I would just leave it.
    I do many times make my quilt up to 2" larger than the actual quilt top. I haven't had a problem before. But then again I stitch to the front and hand stitch the back. Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you decide to re-due it.

Blog Entries
    can you steam press the binding to make it better?

Okay, so on my latest quilt I decided to try doing my binding with 2 1/2 inch strips, and leaving 1/4 of batting around my quilt to help "fill the binding". Then applying the binding. (Hope that helps create the visual)

I apply my dining by sewing it to the back and then top stitching the front. (I know...I'm LAZY! But I don't have any love for handwork. :) )

So it was all swell, and then I washed it and there was just a TAD more shrinkage then I would have liked so there are a few spots where I need to take out the top stitching and pull the binding over more.

I just wondered if anyone had this happen, and if basically removing some top stitches pulling the binding over and re-top stitching is the best thing to do. Let me know your thoughts. :)
    I did this to my bed quilt to make it easier than hand binding like I usually do, and it started coming loose, so now, I have had to take off the old binding and am now doing it over the way someone told me was the 'correct' way - sewing on the front and folding over and handstitching on the back. Now, the quilt police did not knock on my door and give me a fine! However, I do have to do a queen sized quilt binding over again - UUGGHH!! The 'correct' way is the way that works for you!