Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fixing my binding... >

Fixing my binding...

Fixing my binding...

Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM

On my quilts I sew to the front and hand stitch to the back and leave the 1/4' of the batting for fullness. But on children's quilts and other things like wall hangings I do the back to the front and stich with the machine. You have to be careful to make sure you are stitching on the fold. I have seen it done too with a tack or hemming stitch but I have not tried it yet. When you use that method you sew along the fold I think and the tack stitch holds it.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.
Me too! It doesn't matter if you prewash your fabrics; if you don't prewash cotton batting, there will still be shrinkage.

I've done a test, both with and without prewashing the fabrics, made potholders using cotton batting. There is a minimally greater amount of shrinkage if you DO prewash the fabric, because if the fabrics aren't prewashed, the batting shrinks AND the fabric shrinks, leaving the total amount of shrinkage and "wrinkling" a little less. But the difference isn't enough to matter one way or another.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Of course, all of that about shrinkage has nothing to do with the orignal question about binding. I haven't had that particular thing happen with my bindings, but if I did, I'd probably do as the OP suggested: rip the stitches in the problem spots, pull the binding down, and re-topstich.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM

unless it is for a gift or glaringly obvious I would just leave it.
I do many times make my quilt up to 2" larger than the actual quilt top. I haven't had a problem before. But then again I stitch to the front and hand stitch the back. Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you decide to re-due it.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

can you steam press the binding to make it better?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Okay, so on my latest quilt I decided to try doing my binding with 2 1/2 inch strips, and leaving 1/4 of batting around my quilt to help "fill the binding". Then applying the binding. (Hope that helps create the visual)

I apply my dining by sewing it to the back and then top stitching the front. (I know...I'm LAZY! But I don't have any love for handwork. :) )

So it was all swell, and then I washed it and there was just a TAD more shrinkage then I would have liked so there are a few spots where I need to take out the top stitching and pull the binding over more.

I just wondered if anyone had this happen, and if basically removing some top stitches pulling the binding over and re-top stitching is the best thing to do. Let me know your thoughts. :)
I did this to my bed quilt to make it easier than hand binding like I usually do, and it started coming loose, so now, I have had to take off the old binding and am now doing it over the way someone told me was the 'correct' way - sewing on the front and folding over and handstitching on the back. Now, the quilt police did not knock on my door and give me a fine! However, I do have to do a queen sized quilt binding over again - UUGGHH!! The 'correct' way is the way that works for you!