Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flange between quilt blocks and border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flange-between-quilt-blocks-border-t288335.html)

In the woods 05-18-2017 07:47 AM

Flange between quilt blocks and border?

I want just a touch of color between the blocks and a black border. Will it look OK to put a flange in there, or should it just be a very narrow first border?

cjsews 05-18-2017 08:14 AM

I have done a flange. It really gives the quilt a nice little pop of color.

QuiltE 05-18-2017 08:19 AM

A flange can be nice .... or the very narrow border.

Keep in mind that a flange will cover up the centre part a wee bit.
So if you have points out to the edge, they will get covered by the flange.

In that case ... a narrow border will give you that tiny pop of colour and not affect the inner piecework.

popover 05-18-2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7826604)
A flange can be nice .... or the very narrow border.

Keep in mind that a flange will cover up the centre part a wee bit.
So if you have points out to the edge, they will get covered by the flange.

In that case ... a narrow border will give you that tiny pop of colour and not affect the inner piecework.

Just turn the flange out toward the border instead of inward.

feline fanatic 05-18-2017 09:13 AM

How are you planning on quilting it? If sent out to a longarmer flanges can be very troublesome and often add to the cost. If quilting yourself, they can also cause the same issues in that it is difficult to avoid them and not quilt over them and sometimes when you quilt over them they catch under the foot and get stitched down going the wrong way.

If you are hand quilting then flanges are usually no problem at all as you can easily avoid quilting on them when doing by hand.

ArtsyOne 05-18-2017 10:56 AM

I would stick with a 1/4" stop border - it's so much easier than trying to figure out how to quilt around a flange.

cashs_mom 05-18-2017 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by popover (Post 7826615)
Just turn the flange out toward the border instead of inward.

This what I'd do.

MadQuilter 05-18-2017 01:04 PM

How about using a flanged binding? I have started doing that method and absolutely love it.

LilaKay 05-19-2017 03:26 AM

I fellow quilter in our park put a narrow flange on one of her quilts and had a real problem quilting it. She said she would never do that again!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7826620)
How are you planning on quilting it? If sent out to a longarmer flanges can be very troublesome and often add to the cost. If quilting yourself, they can also cause the same issues in that it is difficult to avoid them and not quilt over them and sometimes when you quilt over them they catch under the foot and get stitched down going the wrong way.

If you are hand quilting then flanges are usually no problem at all as you can easily avoid quilting on them when doing by hand.

ka9sdn 05-19-2017 04:06 AM

Why not do a solid piping like Susan Cleveland teaches. Just that little bit of color marks a nice division.