Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-fabrics-what-do-you-use-them-t35882.html)

LoisN 02-17-2010 09:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are 4 of my puff quilts. I always use flannel.

These were made for triplets.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10994[/ATTACH]

woohoowendy 02-17-2010 09:45 AM

I recently made a flannel "rag" tote bag out of quilted squares in blue and yellow. It turned out great. It took several washings to get it all fring-y. I like the shabby chic look of it.

Olivia's Grammy 02-17-2010 11:51 AM

One of the first quilts I made (1966?) was a puff quilt. When I moved to GA I gave it to my DB in Indiana.

redquilter 02-17-2010 11:53 AM

I sometimes use them for backing if I want it to be a nice cozy quilt. Most times I use them to make receiving blankets I donate to a local hospital for newborns in need.

osmom 02-17-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
Here are 4 of my puff quilts. I always use flannel.

Those are adorable!! Would you mind sharing the pattern?
Thanks
Julie

POosterman 02-18-2010 07:57 AM

I love these! How are the puff squares made? This would make a beautiful baby quilt, which I have to make two of this year. Can you post a pattern?

Boston1954 02-18-2010 08:18 AM

I used it only once for a backing. I bought it because it had dogs on it.

jojo47 02-18-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying
I use good quality flannel for baby quilt backing and for rag quilts. No JoAnns - flannel from LQS always better quality.

JoAnn's quilters' flannel is nice quality...I used some in a T-shirt quilt a few years ago and it made up into a very nice quilt. Later on I found the same flannel in my LQS.

minstrel 02-21-2010 06:21 AM

I LOVE flannel! That said, I will say that I'm kind of a flannel snob in that I only use quilt shop quality flannels like Moda. I probably have as much flannel in my stash as I do cottons. I make a lot of large (almost twin sized) throw-sized quilts and love them because they're so soft and cuddly. I live in CO, so it can be cool at times year round. I love flannel for baby quilts, too.

The cheaper flannels, however, are too thin and are hard to sew with which I learned the hard way a number of years ago when I bought yards and yards of some cheap sale flannel at Joanns. If you want to use flannels, I'd suggest investing in good quality flannel.

Tootsie 02-21-2010 10:55 AM

Hi: I use flannel and fleece together to make easy and comfy quilts. The flannel is the front (can be either one panel or pieced together) cut to any size you want. The fleece is cut 1" larger on all sides. Lines are sewn at intervals (5-6" apart) from the flannel side and once sewn, the fleece is folded over the flannel and becomes the binding. I hope this makes sense! I first learned this from an older Sewing With Nancy series and have since made many.

I also use flannel to make chenille scarves. Our sewing club has fabrics swaps and give aways and I just landed 4-5 yards of a cotton/wool flannel that made two beautiful scarves. I never would have used it for a quilt, but it turned out well as a scarf!