Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quilts?

Pajamas?

Or ... do you prefer not use flannels at all?

What about brushed cottons (such as Moda offers)?

I used it for the backing on my first quilt for my son, so that it was soft for him. I dont think I would use it other than that though.

I often use flannel for the back when making baby quilts. I love the softness.

I also use them for baby quilts, so soft for the newborn.

I have backed several quilts with flannel both baby and full size bed quilts. All the T-Shirt quilts I have made I also backed in flannel. Used for both warmth and softness and I just like flannel.

I have also used flannel in applique pieces and for background fabric on throw pillows.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have customers who use them to make baby blankets and then donate they to the local hospital for NCIU or other baby/children hospitals.

I use them to back quilts for children and of course flannel is great for rag quilts.

I have never used them.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    i have made rag quilts and just plain snuggle blankets with them. I love flannels.

I have actually bought some and made receiving blankets for friends. I like to make them bigger then the ones you buy. I just flip the edges each twice and do a running stitch done tehm all! Everyone seems to like them!

I used flannel from Joann's for a pieced baby quilt and NEVER again! Maybe it was the quality of the fabric? It ravelled, stretched, puckered, you name it, while sewing. Worse yet, after being used for a couple of weeks, it went all pilly!

I only have used flannel once. I put it on the back of a doggie themed quilt. The fabric had doggies on it and it is oh so soft. Mostly I stick to regular cotton though.

I like to use flannel for the quilts I make for my grandchildren. I just love the feel of it. I also make my pajama pants out of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    I used flannel from Joann's for a pieced baby quilt and NEVER again! Maybe it was the quality of the fabric? It ravelled, stretched, puckered, you name it, while sewing. Worse yet, after being used for a couple of weeks, it went all pilly!
    I know what you are talking about...however, they seem to carry three grades. The cuddle flannels are ok, but when they have the quilters flannel, they are really nice. there is not as much of a variety in the quilters flannels(esp for children) but the quality is so much nicer.

Margie

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    I know what you are talking about...however, they seem to carry three grades. The cuddle flannels are ok, but when they have the quilters flannel, they are really nice. there is not as much of a variety in the quilters flannels(esp for children) but the quality is so much nicer.Margie
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a better look next time I go to Joann's although I sitll may not use flannel again. I like fleece so much better!

I use them for rag quilts.

I sometimes use flanel for the back of baby quilts.

Blog Entries
    I use flannel alot. I make recieving blankets by crocheting around them. I've made quilts with flannel. That one is on my bed now. Jammies. I use it behind redwork so the threads don't show. I even use it instead of batting in quilts. Read recently, probably on this board, to use it in placements instead of batting. I use it as backing. My DS has a flannel robe I made him many years ago. I have one also. I have made flannel dresses and jumpers for myself. That was before the hot flashes.

I use good quality flannel all the time for baby quilts. It's especially nice combined with chenille for a quick, precious little quilt. Wish I could post pix of some baby quilts I've made using flannel and chenille, but alas! I'm too busy sewing to figure out how to transfer from camera to computer! I'm only here now because I had to stop for a quick sandwich. Have a blast everyone! Don't you just LOVE quilting???

I use flannel for the Puff Quilts that I make for baby gifts. There is another under "pictures" with a couple of pictures of the Puff Quilts. They are VERY soft. So soft that my father-in-law had me make him a Golf Quilt. Perfect for napping after 18 holes.

I have used flannel a lot for quilts, jammies and nightgowns, backing and batting for things that I really don't have to have batting. Like table runners, wall hangings, etc. But once again, you have to watch the quility. I only get it from my lqs. They have great stuff. Wears forever and gets softer with each washing.

Blog Entries
    i use flannel for alot of baby items,burb clothes,matching blankets..back of baby quilts

I like to put flannel on the back of lap quilts it keep them from sliding off. I also like to put them on the backs of my Linus quilts. They are so nice and cuddly against the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I like to put flannel on the back of lap quilts it keep them from sliding off.
    It also keep quilts from sliding off a bed. I try to get my flannels from a lqs, as the quality is different.

I think they are great in baby quilts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast