Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel purchased from Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-purchased-walmart-t198071.html)

AnnT 08-21-2012 04:14 AM

Thanks for the review. I like working with flannels at times so knowing where a good quality and decent price is great.

Our local WalMart has renovated there fabric/craft area and it is so much nicer. It looks as if there is more fabric but it may be that it's just organized better. The fabrics are separated by purpose (utility, novelty, children's flannel, cottons, etc) and cottons are separated by color value. Everything but clearance is on an upright bolt shelf so finding things is a LOT easier! I have complimented the workers on the new system and told them how much I appreciate it and how much easier it is to shop. Of course, by now, they know me by sight, if not by name! LOL

GammaLou 08-21-2012 04:58 AM

Good to know. I don't usually shop at Walmart, but may just have to stop in!

G'ma Kay 08-21-2012 05:28 AM

Another think I love about WalMart flannel is that it's wider than JoAnn's snuggle, so it works great for baby crib sheets

MaggieBB 08-21-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5454274)
I have found that SOME of the lower priced cottons seem to be as nice or nicer - in my opinion - than SOME of the LQS lines.

There are several LQS lines that I don't care about at all - one line has very clever prints/designs, but some of the fabrics seem loosely woven with coarse threads. Another line seems sort of thin, flimsy, and stretchy to me. Another line (it may have improved since I bought a lot of those fabrics) had issues with fading.

But it does come down to personal preference - not everyone loves the heft of Kona cottons, for example.

I think the part of the Reason we are finding better fabrics at a rasonable price at wlamart is because the size of the company buying the fabric can buy a LARGE amount at one time and get a better whole sale price than these smaller LQS . JMHO

MarieM 08-21-2012 06:58 AM

Good to hear. I purchased some flannel at a LQS that shrunk so much I didn't have enough to piece all the blocks. When I buy flannel now I always get at least 1/2 yard more than the pattern calls for.

Deborahlees 08-21-2012 07:07 AM

a while back when I was making a memory quilt for my youngest son, Walmart was the only place I could find black and dark red flannel.....made an entire quilt out of it....was good weight

Latrinka 08-21-2012 02:32 PM

Yes indeed, I've used lots of walmart flannel for rag quilts, backing, bibs, burp cloths, never had problem with it!

suebee 08-21-2012 02:38 PM

This is awesome information. Thank you so much for sharing, I would have been scared to death (okay maybe just a little hesitant to do that) Your a brave woman. thank you again :)

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5451795)
I bought some very dark green $3.49 or $3.79/yard flannel - the tag said double brushed. It felt a bit like felt before I washed it.

I soaked it in hot water in the washer for about three hours - turned the machine off and let it be (I forgot about it and started doing something else) - I washed it with a small amount of laundry detergent on a short gentle cycle and dried it till it was 'hot done' in the dryer.

The shrinkage was much less than I expected - about one inch in length per yard and two inches in width - and the surface did not pill. Also felt much softer and fluffier than when I brought it home. It did not seem to shed very much lint, either.

I was pleasantly surprised.

QandE2010 08-21-2012 05:33 PM

Our Walmart has been revonated, too. It sure makes it easy to find things. I have purchased their super flannel,used it for a queen quilt & was very satisfied with it. It is in the wash about once a month and is holding up very well.

bearisgray 08-21-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieBB (Post 5456427)
I think the part of the Reason we are finding better fabrics at a rasonable price at wlamart is because the size of the company buying the fabric can buy a LARGE amount at one time and get a better whole sale price than these smaller LQS . JMHO

Not what I was saying - I was really saying that I'm not particularly fond of some of the lines usually only found in a LQS.