Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel sheet for batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-sheet-batting-t80170.html)

Sadiemae 12-02-2010 02:42 PM

Should be fine as long as it is washed and dried.

featherweight 12-02-2010 03:10 PM

I think that is about all they had for the vintage quilts. look how long they last!!

ckcowl 12-02-2010 03:28 PM

i've used lots of flannel for batting, works great, just wash it once before using it, if it's a sheet thats been used, washed over & over you are already good to go :thumbup:

sassycat2sew 12-03-2010 03:29 AM

This is just my opinion, but with todays cost of everything and a lot of us who are on a limited income, you cannot go wrong with flannel. It is snuggly warm, easy to sew, and you can find lots of it at any goodwill, thrift, or yard sale. I choose flannel over the traditional batting anytime. I just like it alot. Old used wool army blankets make a good batting too, and is sooooooooo warm. But with anything you buy used, be sure to clean it, even if it already looks and smells clean. Granny always use to say an ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure. Happy sewing everyone:-)

sewing along 12-03-2010 05:12 AM

in all my quilts i use a thin blanket for the batting .....an for the back ..on most of them i use a sheet .....

quilt3311 12-03-2010 05:12 AM

I've put flannel in place mats and a couple throw type quilts that will get rough wear. It works fine, but be sure to wash it in hot water and dry in a hot dryer first so all the shrinkage is taken care of.

gollytwo 12-03-2010 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
I spent $0 on my Tumbling Blocks quilt. Now keeping in the same mode, what about using a flannel sheet for the batting? I think I have heard of it done, but don't know if it is a good idea. I can buy batting, I'm just keeping the theme going. Also, am going to use up large pieces of material pieced together for the backing.
Rita

I used a Ralph Lauren red flannel sheet as the back many years ago in a yellow, white and red Jacob's Ladder lap that I made for my Mom.
No batt, washed it many times before using.
She loved it.
My granddaughter still uses it when she visits New Hampshire.

Maureen 12-03-2010 05:34 AM

Have you ever used flannel for backing with no batting in between?

joan_quilts 12-03-2010 06:21 AM

My friend would use old blankets, flannel, etc for batting in her quilts. Turned out very nice.

raptureready 12-03-2010 06:31 AM

Just make sure you wash the flannel first---shrinkage! Mom used to use old blankets for batting all the time. I've even seen her cut the worn parts out and piece the "good" sections together to make battings. The non printed feed sacks were often used for batting, old sheets, old blankets, worn out quilts, basically anything to make the quilt thicker and warmer. I love the "green" quilting ideas. I often shop at Goodwill. Top sheets don't get the wear and tear that bottom sheets do and often make wonderful backings, blocks or lightwieght battings.