Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-t257245.html)

Kitty10628 11-23-2014 10:11 AM

Flannel

Do you always prewash your flannel?

My son is hogging the washing machine and I am anxious to get started!

Gramie bj 11-23-2014 10:40 AM

Flannel is the worst for shrinking. I have had top quality quilting flannel shrink as much as 3 inches in both directions. I wash and dry in hot water at least twice. Try cutting two squares the same size. Keep one as your control, through the other in one of your son's loads, was and dry, than compare it with control

quiltingcandy 11-23-2014 10:46 AM

I always wash my flannel. It is very loosely woven and will shrink. Also, one time I thought I had bought good flannel and when I washed it I was so disappointed I never used it. (Should have taken it back but just gave it to a thrift store, someone may want to use it.) Just tell your son his next load has to wait, you won't regret making him wait an extra 60 minutes to finish his laundry.

PaperPrincess 11-23-2014 10:53 AM

Also, clean the lint trap half way thru the drying cycle.

feline fanatic 11-23-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6980975)
Also, clean the lint trap half way thru the drying cycle.

Or more! I have had some high quality flannels really throw a ton of lint the first wash. But they came out so soft and lovely.

Kitty10628 11-23-2014 01:35 PM

Instead of heading the advice given here...putting in a small patch...making him wait..etc.

I started another project.

OOOOO NOOOOO!

Kitty10628 11-23-2014 01:38 PM

I will wash and dry the flannel with hot water and high heat because thats what I am sure my niece will do with it when she receives it. (So its my nieces daughter, so that would make me be her great aunt making her daughter my second niece?)

Its a Frozen panel with the little snowman guy from the movie in flannel for the backing. Its for Christmas so I can squeeze out 1 more table topper and still get it done.

suern3 11-23-2014 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 (Post 6981236)
I will wash and dry the flannel with hot water and high heat because thats what I am sure my niece will do with it when she receives it. (So its my nieces daughter, so that would make me be her great aunt making her daughter my second niece?)

Its a Frozen panel with the little snowman guy from the movie in flannel for the backing. Its for Christmas so I can squeeze out 1 more table topper and still get it done.

Way to go Kitty, great plan! (and I think you will be glad you washed the flannel). I love flannel, esp. for backing and always prewash, not in hot water though. You probably know best how yours will be treated. Have fun with your table topper!

maryb119 11-23-2014 03:05 PM

Yes, always, always always prewash flannel. It shrinks a bunch.

MaryMo 11-23-2014 05:29 PM

I do prewash as I would with any fabrics or clothes that I buy. Nothing special, just washing it as I would when the quilt is done and that's all it takes in my estimation.