Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleshing Out A Panel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleshing-out-panel-t265571.html)

DonnaFreak 05-24-2015 08:15 AM

Fleshing Out A Panel

Howdy y'all. 😊

I recently took a two week trip to San Diego, CA to visit my best friend. We had a GREAT time! One of the places her and her husband took me was Rosie's Calico Cupboard, which is a fantastic quilt shop! I ended up spending $200 there! Before I even stepped inside the shop I looked through the stuff outside in their sidewalk sale. I fell in love with a Japanese style panel and just couldn't resist getting it! Only problem is...I've never used a panel to make a quilt before. I'm thinking of putting a slim border around the panel, then some sort of block around that, followed by a thicker border...but I'm not sure about what type of block to use. Any suggestions?

Donna

tessagin 05-24-2015 08:18 AM

Do you have a photo of the panel? That would help with ideas.

Tartan 05-24-2015 08:34 AM

i would find a pieced block that goes with the panel and set them on one side and across the bottom. Maybe fan blocks or Japanese lanterns?

Shelbie 05-24-2015 09:58 AM

Look at the free patterns offered by many of the fabric companies. They often use panels and showcase creative ways to use them. You will probably need to make some blocks to get it to a usable size. One of my favourites is My Lil' Buckaroo by Shannon Fabrics which finishes at 54" x 70".

Kathy T. 05-24-2015 01:52 PM

Do a google search for "oriental quilt panels images" and you will get lots of ideas.

Krisb 05-24-2015 03:05 PM

"Sidelights" from the Robert Kaufman company is a free pattern intended to showcase an Asian panel. Don't know if it will work for the one you have.

Dollyo 05-25-2015 04:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's one that's in my "Quilt Ideas" file. My DN loves it, but I have not been able to find it in that colorway. My DGD's "Princess Quilt" is based on the oriental quilt. The 3rd is panel w/piano key border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520654[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]520655[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]520656[/ATTACH]

Quilter 65 05-25-2015 05:22 AM

In blocks of the week and month, there is a whole medallion quilt section. Took a center medallion or panel and built around it. Many pages of work displayed and lots of various ideas. Maybe that could help you out a bit. Dollyo that first quilt is singing my song Just beautiful.

KalamaQuilts 05-25-2015 05:28 AM

edited: can't find my sample

Panels are huge right now, last show I went to at least 1/2 of the booths featured them and there was even one double size booth that was nothing but panels.

BettyM 05-25-2015 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520660[/ATTACH]

Here is a pattern that I bought years ago that uses a panel. I really liked the quilt I made from it. It is by Sis N Me and is called Oriental Treasures. Her web site is no longer available so I believe she is out of business. But it is very easy to make. You just cut the panel into strips and piece in narrow strips of fabric. I'm crossing my fingers that the picture shows up well.

OK, the picture showed up. I don't know how to rotate it. But hopefully you can see it OK.