Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flying Geese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flying-geese-t293865.html)

nanac 01-06-2018 10:15 AM

Flying Geese

I recently purchased a pattern that requires a massive number (254) of the flying geese blocks. I understand the concept of the flying geese, but I am unsure if I should press the seams to the darker side, or if I should press the seams open, to lay flatter.
I tried sample blocks doing it each way, but I'm not really satisfied with either. I just wondered how others do it.

quiltsRfun 01-06-2018 10:55 AM

Does the pattern give any pressing directions?

quiltingshorttimer 01-06-2018 11:36 AM

unless the pattern says otherwise, I usually press so they are "up", so the seam goes toward the corner part. Seems easier to me to get an accurate 1/4" seam when sewing them to the next unit that way.

wesing 01-06-2018 11:41 AM

If you're making that many it may be worthwhile to invest in a tool. I prefer the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper. It gives me perfect results with just slivers of waste. If you don't want to buy the tool, watch her video on YouTube and then try to adapt it to a ruler you already have. I have done that before I had her ruler and gotten good results, just not perfect like using her ruler.

As far as pressing, I press toward the "sky" part also.

Kitsie 01-07-2018 10:15 AM

I always press the large triangle out to the corners. You may also like the "No Waste Method" for making (4) at a time instead of sewing corners to triangles.

intoquilting 01-07-2018 10:17 AM

I agree with the Deb Tucker ruler being the best method.

Faintly Artistic 01-07-2018 11:27 AM

Agreed about the wing clipper tool. Made a quilt with several hundred geese without it and the trimming took longer and wasn't as precise. Broke down and bought her tool. Just finished one with 320 geese, piece of cake. I don't normally buy specialty rulers, but since I really like using flying geese units, this tool earned a place in my tool box. In fact, I bought both sizes. I like how with her tools you can make about 10 different sizes with each.

eparys 01-08-2018 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made about 300 flying geese for this quilt using 5" squares and lots of small background squares

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586765[/ATTACH]

using the no waste method. It was super simple and no special tool to purchase. I did however add about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the small squares - this insured me of having enough wiggle room to have a perfectly straight trim job on the top and always have a perfect top point with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

feline fanatic 01-08-2018 06:57 AM

Wonderful quilt Betty! So based on your description of how you did this you basically did the Deb Tucker method without her ruler. I have made quilts with loads of FG without the special ruler. I was pleased with the result. But I picked up this ruler last year and have to admit, it definitely is a great specialty ruler, well worth the investment. So add me to the list of supporter for the Wing Clipper.

Also I don't care what color the "sky" units are, I always press towards them.

Sew Freak 01-08-2018 07:24 AM

Eparys, beautiful quilt....I luv FG!