Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flying Geese

Blog Entries

Flying Geese

I recently purchased a pattern that requires a massive number (254) of the flying geese blocks. I understand the concept of the flying geese, but I am unsure if I should press the seams to the darker side, or if I should press the seams open, to lay flatter.
    I tried sample blocks doing it each way, but I'm not really satisfied with either. I just wondered how others do it.

Blog Entries
    Does the pattern give any pressing directions?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    unless the pattern says otherwise, I usually press so they are "up", so the seam goes toward the corner part. Seems easier to me to get an accurate 1/4" seam when sewing them to the next unit that way.

If you're making that many it may be worthwhile to invest in a tool. I prefer the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper. It gives me perfect results with just slivers of waste. If you don't want to buy the tool, watch her video on YouTube and then try to adapt it to a ruler you already have. I have done that before I had her ruler and gotten good results, just not perfect like using her ruler.

As far as pressing, I press toward the "sky" part also.

Blog Entries
    I always press the large triangle out to the corners. You may also like the "No Waste Method" for making (4) at a time instead of sewing corners to triangles.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I agree with the Deb Tucker ruler being the best method.

Agreed about the wing clipper tool. Made a quilt with several hundred geese without it and the trimming took longer and wasn't as precise. Broke down and bought her tool. Just finished one with 320 geese, piece of cake. I don't normally buy specialty rulers, but since I really like using flying geese units, this tool earned a place in my tool box. In fact, I bought both sizes. I like how with her tools you can make about 10 different sizes with each.

I made about 300 flying geese for this quilt using 5" squares and lots of small background squares

Name:  PP_Baskets_sm.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  226.7 KB

using the no waste method. It was super simple and no special tool to purchase. I did however add about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the small squares - this insured me of having enough wiggle room to have a perfectly straight trim job on the top and always have a perfect top point with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Wonderful quilt Betty! So based on your description of how you did this you basically did the Deb Tucker method without her ruler. I have made quilts with loads of FG without the special ruler. I was pleased with the result. But I picked up this ruler last year and have to admit, it definitely is a great specialty ruler, well worth the investment. So add me to the list of supporter for the Wing Clipper.

Also I don't care what color the "sky" units are, I always press towards them.

Eparys, beautiful quilt....I luv FG!

I use Eleanor Burns method of making flying geese however once the geese are made I use the wing clipper to cut the geese

Most of us just finished the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt and it has 400 flying geese! I pressed up and I used my flying geese ruler by Kimberly Einmo. They came out great with no trimming.

Betty, that is a lovely quilt!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I agree with using the Deb Tucker wing clipper and pressing up towards the sky or lighter fabric. The seams will generally want to fold that way anyway and the wing clipper makes trimming very fast and accurate.
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I always iron to the dark. You might want to invest in either the 3D Triangulations CD and print out paper-pieced FG. Or, consider making them with the ruler named wing clipper. Good luck!
    Donnamarie

Press up and out toward the wings. If you try to press down to the large portion, you will end up with a lump of seam at the tip. I highly recommend the Wing Clipper ruler by Deb Tucker also. I always make them larger and trim for accuracy. Nothing worse than having some off square flying geese.

The Wing Clipper tool is awesome. I won't do FG without it. Well worth the investment.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your advice. Looks like I'm off to find a wing clipper