Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flynn Multi-Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flynn-multi-frame-t235.html)

DonnaRae 07-04-2007 03:09 AM

Hi Vicki, where are you at in the mountains? My mom lives on Green Mountain, NC You're going to be so glad you finally get the machine. How come you are going to wait until you go to the show. For money reasons order it before you go or after. It is in a pretty good size box especially if you get the one with everything (rods and all so you don't have to go buy anything to start using it) that comes with it. Don't think you want to be toting that around. I've never been to a show, but that is what I am saving for now. If I could only stay away from buying fabric. I would probably have had the money over and over again to go. And I live in Greenville, SC. :shock: I'm addicted. Anyway good luck when you finally get the machine. :D

vicki reno 07-05-2007 04:35 AM

Hi there Donna. Our house is just off 19w above Burnsville. Green Mtn is not too far out of Burnsville if memory serves me correctly. We once tried to buy a house on Green Mtn Rd.

Burnsville has started a quilt trail where plywood "quilts" are hung on barns and other structures along the road . Very neat looking. If Green Mtn is the same one near Burnsville and you get a chance, check it ot! I knew we had chose the right community to eventually retire to when I heard about that. It was definitely a sign :!:

Db112527 07-10-2007 07:03 PM

:) Yes, I have one,DH added Legs to it and made a rolling thing for the sewing machine and I liked it a lot more. But now I've Graduated to a Longarm but still have my Flynn. It is a lot smaller to deal with, either one as it goes I take it so far and take it back to my machine with the large cabinetDH Made italso and I do Free Form now on my own designs.So I go full circle. Or I have Now.

DonnaRae 07-10-2007 08:19 PM

Hi Vicki, I'v been away for the past couple of days so just saw your reply. I don't recall the quilts (wood?) but I will ask my mom. And yes you have the right place. You go left off of 19 up to Green Mountain. She lives on top of Red Hill. Really pretty. Is that your house in the picture? Beautiful!

lpnut 07-15-2007 12:45 PM

I have been quilting for less than a year. I was taught how to sew clothes from my mother when I was a child so my skills are not advanced.I am a self taught quilter. I have been either tying or attempting to stitch in the ditch my quilts with not so great results. I wanted a frame but not the BIG expense. Did lots of looking around on the web and finally bought the multi frame. I used it for the first time today. Now after reading the posts and not sure what to expect I was ready for lots of grumbling and cursing. Well let me tell you I am very pleased with the results. I am doing a practice quilt and have tried different things on it, stippling, echo, patterns.... All with good results. I have the pvc rolls on both sides of the sewing machine. Once I relaxed it was very fluid and enjoying. It is on the 42 inch frame at this time so I am not sure if I will get the same results on my next project which is on a 64 inch frame. Right now I am set up at my sewing table so I will probably have to move to the kitchen table which has more room. But over all I am very pleased. I do not compare my work to pros. or to people that have been quilting a long time. I give my quilts to people I care about. There are always mistakes to be found. There was no puckering and it all ended up even. Over all I am very pleased with this frame. :thumbup:

vicki reno 07-16-2007 03:01 AM

Thats very encouraging to hear. I will be getting one in Feb of next year and I am pleasd to know that it is that easy.

joannl 05-09-2008 06:23 PM

I thought I could save a little cash & make my own.... I just could not find the correct parts. I found the Euro-kit for $49 online at Allbrands.com. John Flynn's website has it for $78. It includes everything except the fiberglass rods but I want rods longer than 48inches anyway & John Flynn says you can use pvc.
John Flynn's website http://www.flynnquilt.com/ has a link to the DVD that comes with his kit.
I am ordering mine in the next week or so & can hardly wait.
For the quilter that keeps rolling off the table, John Flynn recommends taping a pencil to the table or using the gel wrist rests (for computers) to keep the large pvc from falling off the ends.
Jo

desertdebbe 05-09-2008 06:53 PM

I too was looking for maximum bang for the buck. I couldn't understand why John's frame was so much less so I asked him. He explained that with the others the machine is moving. At the time I just wanted to be able to quilt on a frame so I bought the kit. I also got a maximizer 6 and 2 pack so that I could use either wood or pvc tubing.
As much as I wanted it to work it was extremely frustrating. I was patient I tried numerous things to correct little irritants but it never got better and I put it away in a box. I believe I have the dvd but I'm not positive. He shows you everything you need to do online.
My honest suggestion is to save your time and money and then buy a frame. You can find them used all the time. I would have been much happier saving a few hundred dollars and buying a frame that actually works well with results that make you proud.
I now have a Hinterberg stretch frame ($899) It is a dream combined with my Juki 98Q. I would suggest the combo to anyone who is just starting out on a frame. If you want to buy my Flynn frame you can have it for $25 + shipping. I feel bad even asking that for it.

june6995 05-10-2008 03:17 AM

A quick confirmation......save your money.
A friend from another forum had her husband make a frame for her, using John Flyy;s design and video. She coule not make it work. I, too, suggest you skip the disappointment and frustration. I had planned to go that route until someone here discouraged me. I wound up buying a frame/machine combo and could not be happier. The Flynn system has frustration written all over it.

Here is another one that looks about the same. Does anyone here have this one??? And has it met your expectations?

http://www.easyquilter.com/nextpage.html

I would want to find someone who is happy with this frame. Perhaps they can walk you through learning to use it. John has it all down pat and makes it look so easy. Not so for the novice.

DonnaRae 05-10-2008 06:18 AM

I guess I should put in my two cents. I have the Flynn system and am very happy. I had no problems with it or learning how to use it at all. You do need the vidio so make sure you get that. Some people never get it. Before I bought it I read the pros and cons too. I finally thought for the money, I have to give it a go, and I am so glad I did. Now of course I would love one of the much more expensive ones. But this does the trick. And also it is so easy to store when you are limited in space which I am. So it is a decision you will have to make. I made the right one and bought it!! :D