Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ - it "clicked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-clicked-t248895.html)

Leslie333 06-22-2014 05:50 PM

FMQ - it "clicked

1 Attachment(s)
I had become decent, but not proficient at FMQ on "quilting round 1" when I was quilting 15 year ago, then I took a 10 year quilting break. I started on "quilting round 2" about 3 years ago, but I've been doing mostly straight like quilting on the things I've done.

I made a quilt top that is for me, so it felt safe to work on my FMQ, plus I took a Craftsy class from Leah Day and wanted to practice on something "real". I've been using a meandering loop de loop type of quilting, except for some square in a square quilting in the random squares in the design. I've finished the interior and did straight lines on the border (feeddogs engaged) tonight, then I started the FMQ on the border. After about 20 minutes in the border it suddenly "clicked"! I was able to increase my speed and keep my stitch length fairly consistent and not quilt myself into a place I couldn't get out of easily. I just had to share with those who understand!

Constructive criticism welcome. I know the stitch length isn't 100% consistent and that will just take practice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480099[/ATTACH]

janceejan 06-22-2014 06:20 PM

Looks pretty good to me! Congrats on your ahhh moment :)

GingerK 06-22-2014 06:24 PM

I LOVE those AH moments. Wish they happened more often. Congrats and happy FMQing!!

quiltingbuddy 06-22-2014 06:26 PM

Fantastic job!!! Maybe it's time for me to take a class.

loisf 06-22-2014 06:27 PM

That's really good to hear. Congratulations. I just finished my first quilt on my new Tiara, and I was not 100% pleased with my results. Most of my dissatisfaction comes from the pattern I used. I need to get more creative when it comes to figuring that out. The machine ran quite well. No nests or eyelashing on the bottom. I didn't get the Tru Stitich, because I didn't like the erratic action and sound of it. I'm sure I will get better. It was really great to finish a quilt totally on my own. Now on to my second top. I think I will try the stipple on this one.

Quiltngolfer 06-23-2014 05:03 AM

Congratulations to you! I am still working at it. Getting better all the time, but not there yet. I read somewhere that it takes 6 hours of FMQ for most people to get it. Your quilt looks very pretty. The thread is a great match for the fabric. Now you can complete the whole quilt yourself. That's great!

AnnEliz 06-23-2014 05:10 AM

I am not "up on" these abbreviations---what does FMQ mean? Sorry!

ManiacQuilter2 06-23-2014 05:54 AM

Yes, I have told quilters over the decade that with FMQ, it will suddenly CLICK just like riding a bike. Be sure that you are not transfix on the needle because that is where you are NOW, you need to look at where you are going.

Sewnoma 06-23-2014 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz (Post 6770210)
I am not "up on" these abbreviations---what does FMQ mean? Sorry!

FMQ = "Free Motion Quilting" - where you stitch with a hopping/darning foot and move the quilt in all directions around freely, rather than in straight lines.

I loved the Leah Day FMQ class! It's mesmerizing just to watch her work.

Doggramma 06-23-2014 06:53 AM

Congrats! It feels good when it clicks and you feel like you're driving around your quilt like driving in a tiny car!