Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ/Darning foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-darning-foot-t93452.html)

SherriB 01-25-2011 05:50 AM

I just got and open-toe walking foot and darning foot. I hope to try them soon and see how I do. Hopefully, much better!

Pat P 01-25-2011 07:46 AM

Thanks Glad Grams I will check that out because it was an expensive gadget. I don't miss the hammering it did. I checked my book and looked at the pictures-- I had it inserted correctly.

BettyGee 01-25-2011 08:00 AM

I use the darning foot that came with my Pfaff. It is open toe and I love it! I can see what I'm doing, although what I'm doing isn't always perfect. I'm still in the learning mode for FM, but it is so much fun.

TexasGurl 01-25-2011 08:02 AM

I use the Machingers, like them SO much better than any other gloves I've used ... & the clear, open toe darning / FMQ foot is def the way to go. Good luck ! :)

kwilter 01-25-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Open toe works better for me. When I start to stitch, I like to hold the threads out of the way. With a closed toe you can't really do that. I also like clear if possible just so I can see where I'm going. Of course, I'm still lousy at FMQ so I need any advantage I can get!

I agree! However, even with the clear, open-toe foot, I was not getting a good view in some directions so I clipped off the "toes" to make them more open and sanded down the ends to smooth them. Much better! :-D

BettyGee 01-25-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter

Open toe works better for me. When I start to stitch, I like to hold the threads out of the way. With a closed toe you can't really do that. I also like clear if possible just so I can see where I'm going. Of course, I'm still lousy at FMQ so I need any advantage I can get!

I agree! However, even with the clear, open-toe foot, I was not getting a good view in some directions so I clipped off the "toes" to make them more open and sanded down the ends to smooth them. Much better! :-D

You are so right! Elmhurst is a beautiful place to live. I used to live there and then in Schaumburg.

kwilter 01-25-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee

Originally Posted by kwilter

You are so right! Elmhurst is a beautiful place to live. I used to live there and then in Schaumburg.

I do believe in six degrees of separation! Been here almost 40 years!

DogHouseMom 01-25-2011 11:03 AM

I prefer the open toe for visibility, but word of caution. If you baste your top (like I do) the tips of the toe can sometimes catch your basting stitches.

DogHouseMom 01-25-2011 11:04 AM

I prefer the open toe for visibility, but word of caution. If you baste your top (like I do) the tips of the toe can sometimes catch your basting stitches.

jitkaau 01-25-2011 04:31 PM

I have a few - metal and plastic in different sizes. One of the metal ones seems to have a burr on it as it cuts the cotton every now and then, so it is discarded. The two square plastic ones are large and small and good, but slow. The best is a round metal one with a plastic insert that has a single hole in the middle of the plastic. It runs smoothly, doesn't pull up the material and the stitches can be seen through the plastic. It is made by Brother.