Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ disaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-disaster-t94087.html)

mhansen6 01-27-2011 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
Just tried my first attempt at FMC today (on a practice piece) What a disaster, how in the world do people do this. I don't think I will ever get this. I have the books too. Couldn't even do stippling

I am with you. FMQ is difficult at best for me. It makes me so tense that when I am done my shoulders and head hurt big time.

bammy1 01-27-2011 07:20 AM

Feffertim: Your efforts give me courage! I'm hoping to do my own FM work soon and am taking a class Machine Quilting 101! I've only done one quilt on a long arm (I'm a newbie at all this) and have completed a quilt top for my granddaughter which I would like to quilt on my own machine. I'm hoping with the class and lots, and lots, and lots of practice I can complete her quilt with something acceptable. For all those who responded to Feffertim...I'm taking all your advice too! Thanks also for the website.

feffertim 01-27-2011 07:55 AM

free motion quilting

matraina 01-27-2011 07:55 AM

I used to be able to make the hotpads you have in your avator. Someone showed me long time ago. Since I don't have the pattern written down anywhere, I'd like to know where you got the pattern. Thank you.

lillybeck 01-27-2011 08:35 AM

My first try got ripped out no less than 7 times. It turned out to be fun once I got the hang of it. Keep trying

quiltmaker 01-27-2011 08:49 AM

Put on some good music you can find a nice rhythm with and make lots of practice sandwiches and you will get it in no time. It's so much fun. Also you can go to daystyledesigns and get good ideas from Leah. There are lots of tutorials on youtube and many quilt shop sites. The trick is to find the way you and only you can make it work for you. Just loosen yourself up a bit, do small areas at a time and relax and enjoy even your mistakes because that's the only way any one of us ever learns. None of us ever got it right in the beginning but learned and laughed at what we did and then it just finally hits you. We each will find the designs that work the best for ourselves and continue trying to perfect those we have a difficult time with. Wishing you all the best.

Dianne1 01-27-2011 08:55 AM

Don't be discouraged, just go slow. It is eye-hand co-ordination. Draw it out with paper and pencil, then practice-practice on a small 12 by 15 block. You will do very well, just take your time.

IBQUILTIN 01-27-2011 09:17 AM

It does take practice, and the one thing I kept forgetting to do was drop the feed dogs. Dont forget

catrancher 01-27-2011 09:18 AM

I set up my laptop next to my sewing machine and watched Leah Day's 365 Days of FMQ tutorials and then did what she did. They didn't always look like hers, but they were okay. I recommend starting with the easy ones and going from there. It worked for me. Still practicing.

Stitchalong 01-27-2011 10:13 AM

It gets better with practice, but I am still far from where I want to be. Each attempt shows progress and that is what I am looking for.