Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ disaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-disaster-t94087.html)

feffertim 01-27-2011 10:22 AM

The pattern is from the Fons & Porter book 'quilters complete guide' that I got from the library. Here is a link to a similar one, mine uses only 4" squares through wile this uses different sizes otherwise the effect is the same

Jennifer22206 01-27-2011 10:32 AM

one of the best bits of advice I got was to have a glass of wine first and just go for it.

Since I don't drink alcohol, I had some chocolate and just went with it. It is harder than it seems, but the more practice it gets better.

melslove 01-27-2011 10:48 AM

Also you need gloves could not do it with my machingers gloves! They help you move the fabric around.

Wendys Quilts 01-27-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Tape a pencil/felt tip vertically to your machine , then practice moving paper around under the pencil as if you are fmq until you get the 'feel' of it, you have to get into the groove, finding your own speed, stick some music on, relax and go play!!

Oh and go slower when doing a curve or you end up with eyelashes underneath (ask me how I know that!!)

Big head, little neck, big head, little neck is what I used to chant as I was practising LOL :thumbup:

Someone mentioned eyelashing in another post. Can some explain this to me? I have never heard of it before.

Neena 01-27-2011 10:53 AM

being relaxed is so important...try having your favorite music on..the beat/rythym helps me. Hang in there!

quiltmaker 01-27-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by melslove
Also you need gloves could not do it with my machingers gloves! They help you move the fabric around.

You're absolutely correct... I forgot to mention that and mine are machingers also....love those gloves.

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-27-2011 10:59 AM

I agree with the above poster that the gloves may really help you out. Stippling is still a pain in the rear for me and I free motion just about every quilt I make! LOL* It's actually really tough to get nice even stitching and keep from crossing over your lines! I think the loopy meander would be a great way to go to get practice. Once you've done a whole quilt of meandering you'll probably be ready to do something that requires a little more control.

Why on earth do they suggest stippling for starting out? LOL* I agree with the poster that said, "stippling is much harder than it looks!"

Also, I don't know what kind of machine your using but I'm using a very basic one. Mine has speeds and I generally set it on medium to keep me from running way from myself. Some of these ladies who do amazing work not only have a lot of practice under their belt, but they often have stitch regulating machines which can make a HUGE difference. I wish I had it!!! ;) Don't give up! :)

DogHouseMom 01-27-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
My neck and shoulders got so stiff !

Ahhh ... that's why everyone said "relax" (honestly - it wasn't just a cliche!). Not only will you be sore, but it won't do the quilting a bit of good either.

So, relax the shoulders, put a practice piece down, and just sew. Don't try to sew pretty, don't try to sew "anything" - just practice moving fabric around, forward, backward, side to side, with your shoulders RELAXED. Get that part down pat first. Complete perhaps 3-5 10" sandwiches full of nonsense quilting all completed with relaxed shoulders. THEN try to practice something planned.

Some people use a harness for their shoulders/neck and it has adjustable weights that hang from the harness on your back - supposed to help relax your shoulders. Obviously if there's a device to prevent this, your not the only one with the problem. Try to work through it on your own.

Oh ... and breath. Honestly. I'll bet you hold your breath without knowing it. Well, I did, and apparently it's a common reaction.

repeat with breathing - shoulders - inhale - shoulders - exhale - shoulders - inhale ....

music helps too.

quiltsru 01-27-2011 11:37 AM

what is a fmo?

quiltsru

quilttiludrop 01-27-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsru
what is a fmo?

quiltsru

Free Motion Quilting

I think some of the best advice is to practice off the machine using paper and pencil or a dry erase board and markers. You can also get clear acrylic and doodle your design on it while it's setting on top of your quilt top to figure out what you want to put in each area.