Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ - I now know why I failed Art Class in Kingergarten (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-i-now-know-why-i-failed-art-class-kingergarten-t108408.html)

Drew 03-18-2011 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

I feel for you....we should start a club...The Unable to FMQ Quilters!! :-)

I need to belong to this club. When does it start?? (LOL)

Buttons922 03-18-2011 03:33 AM

I once got a ticket for not parking between the line...When I paid the ticket I told them that they haven't seen me color yet. I would get a ticket for that also. Keep trying, have you neighbors child help. Just smile and enjoy!

Homemother 03-18-2011 03:38 AM

You are so funny! I'm not going to tell you that practice makes perfect because I always think I can do things the first time without any effort then realize I'm like everyone else and need to learn the skill! Good luck! You can do it! Can't wait for a pic post!

OmaForFour 03-18-2011 03:49 AM

I am practicing practicing practicing also. Getting a little better each time.

Yooper32 03-18-2011 03:57 AM

Well, lets face it. We can't all be Charisma, darn! She is so exceptional that it is daunting to even try, but we can keep trying. I have been trying for quite a few years now and know I will never be really good at it, but won't give up either. Save a spot on the UTFMQ club for me.

mrsddh97 03-18-2011 04:48 AM

One reply said get really good at one thing then move on to the next, I am really good at stippling now. I am practicing with other patterns now trying to find my next one but I feel confident enough to do stippling on actual quilts and have done a few that look pretty good. I don't know how long all my quilts will have the stipple pattern but I will keep at it til I move on to the next one.

mimom 03-18-2011 05:05 AM

a larger work surface helped me quite a bit. I had a neighbor make me an extention table so my work surface was much bigger and it really helped.

Aquarius 03-18-2011 05:08 AM

I also tried free motion quilting, but my stitches looked tight. Is it because I didnt quilt fast enough or is it the tension. I know nothing about changing tension on my machine. It's a Janome 2160QDC.

GGinMcKinney 03-18-2011 05:13 AM

Once I got the hang of the tension, pressure & speed the eyelashes went away and I became more concerned with design. I couldn't follow a line with FMQ so I practiced by stitching names of folks I love. We already know how to write and that involves shapes that are in quilt designs. Open up an "i" stitch an "o", a "t" that is not crossed. All these seemed to help me. When I got ready for designs I made what I call a wonky flower on a floral quilt top. 5 open i's in a wonky circle large as the space called for and then smaller i's inside those. Well, it suited me. I am not an artist either so decided to intentionally allow myself to make wonky designs and stitch folks names into the top if I know who it is going to.

nawnee_00 03-18-2011 05:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement I'm seeing here. I'm also wanting to teach myself fmq. No time like the present.