Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ vs Rulers: Pros and Cons? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-vs-rulers-pros-cons-t319969.html)

Pat M. 01-25-2023 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JenMo (Post 8586455)
Hi everyone,
I created my first quilt last Spring for my mom. I was a complete newbie, but dived right into ruler and FM quilting. I took an intro to quilting class at my local quilt shop and followed up with a ruler quilting intro class. But then I wanted motifs I couldn't do with rulers, so I studied Lori Kennedy's site and books. My quilt ended up being about 2/3 ruler-quilted and 1/3 FMQ.

I am now working on 4th& Main's "Illusions" quilt, piecing and quilting each block individually, QAYG -style. I am using a ruler for the central block flower motif, but the rest is all FMQ.

I guess my question for you experienced folks is, which method do you prefer? Or do you also use a mix of ruler and pure FMQ? I do like the regularity of ruler quilting, but rulers are expensive and also I find them kind of a pain to use - more "stuff" to manage while quilting. I am loving FMQ and feel like, with practice, I may not need rulers at all in the future....

What do you gravitate toward?

I have a longarm machine and I use both in my quilts.

quiltedsunshine 01-25-2023 04:30 PM

I use both. Don't have time to get good at FMQ, so for now, I depend on rulers, stencils and pantos. Someday, I would like to have time to get better at FMQ.

2Chuckie2 07-05-2023 01:07 PM

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying all the different methods of machine quilting, mainly because my shoulder stops me hand quilting nowadays. Tried the rulerwork, needs lots more practise! Tried free motion with no design drawn out, needs more practise! But then discovered pantographs, and I finally got it! My dearest wish is to make a typical Durham Strippy quilt. I’ve made Amish style, and Welsh Wholecloth, so the Durham Strippy is the next project. I’ve already found some possible continuous designs for each panel, so when I’ve finished machine quilting the blue and white Flying Geese, I’m set to go. Wish me luck. I forgot to mention, my husband bought me the Bernina 770 two years ago and I’m still playing….great fun.

quiltedsunshine 07-05-2023 05:43 PM

I really like my rulers! I haven't had time to get good at FMQ. But when I retire, I will get serious about FMQ. I also like pantographs (or stencils for my sit down machine) for all-over designs.

sewingpup 07-06-2023 06:48 AM

I took a class from a pro (Karen McTavish). She had me first use a ruler to do stitch in the ditch over the quilt. This helps make the various elements more visible and also stabilizes the whole quilt top. (I was using a long arm but would also work on a sit down). Then I drew a few freehand lines in some of the larger areas to divide them up a bit, and then I used free motion to fill in the areas. It was fun, but time consuming. I don't like rulers very much, but I certainly could see the point of using them to stabilize and clarify certain areas like star points.