Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fold and stitch wreath (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fold-stitch-wreath-t284287.html)

true4uca 12-07-2016 09:33 AM

Fold and stitch wreath

Just tried one and too labour intensive for me. My poor hands are hurting today (arthritis). If I were to try another one I use one of those stiffeners that are sticky on both sides, maybe heat & bond. I would bond my two fabrics together and eliminate the need to turn my blocks eg. fabric 5.5 inches, heat & bond 5 inches. Then do a couple rows of zigzag stitching on edges of each block.
Of course hopefully I'd also make better fabric choices. LOL.

Maggie_Sue 12-07-2016 10:10 AM

Yes I made one and probably will not do another, however your suggestions would make it much easier!!!

Kitsie 12-07-2016 04:15 PM

Sorry about your arthritic hands, but very thankful for the hint! Going to do the leaf-look one sometime! (after I get double-sided fusible!)

tlambing 12-07-2016 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made this one as a Christmas gift. I added a prairie point in the seam for more dimension. I thought it was fun. Not too labor intensive and definitely doable in the better part of a day. I bought the leaf shaped foam pieces when I purchased the pattern. That was a time saver I'm sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563322[/ATTACH]

true4uca 12-07-2016 04:30 PM

Yours look good. I just found out about the foam today from a friend. I used some realllly stiff non-fusible interfacing (salesgirl recommended). Will never use that product again.

Originally Posted by tlambing (Post 7714269)
I just made this one as a Christmas gift. I added a prairie point in the seam for more dimension. I thought it was fun. Not too labor intensive and definitely doable in the better part of a day. I bought the leaf shaped foam pieces when I purchased the pattern. That was a time saver I'm sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563322[/ATTACH]

Bikergma 12-07-2016 04:30 PM

Love doing them. Made 6 already. Would send a picture but don't know how.

rusty quilter 12-07-2016 05:15 PM

I bought the pattern from my LQS and have read the pattern directions several times...but haven't started it yet...Seems confusing to me! May be my frame of mind...maybe next week???

JustAbitCrazy 12-07-2016 10:11 PM

Yours is lovely! I made one---the leaf pattern. I also bought the precut foam leaf shapes for that one, expensive, but worth it to me to see exactly what that stuff looks like and how it works in the pattern. Later I bought the original wreath pattern, which is larger than the leaf wreath. I haven't made that one yet, but plan to use some stiff Pellon stuff I bought instead, which I read works in place of the foam.

BettyGee 12-08-2016 07:45 AM

I have the pattern and plan to use Pellon, but I also thought about using plastic canvas. I used the plastic canvas on some baskets and it worked out quite nicely, okay it was tricky but it worked. Have a gazillion pieces of plastic canvas and am trying to find ways to use it up. Arthritis is the bane of a a quilter's existence, fingers cramp up, etc. Getting old came at a most inconvenient time.

willferg 12-08-2016 07:48 AM

I started one and got tired of sewing around the squares with a decorative stitch to close the turning hole. I put it aside, but when I see pics posted here I think about taking it up again. I haven't done it yet, though. I can't imagine how people can turn out multiple ones.