Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Folded over backing for binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folded-over-backing-binding-t290142.html)

nena 08-03-2017 07:50 AM

Do it all the time. It works for me.

AVFD215 08-03-2017 08:41 AM

I have not done it, but often use the backing fabric for the binding.
Mike

pndnana 08-03-2017 08:44 AM

I have done it on quilts that were not show quality, I don't think a judge would let the technique pass, just my opinion from past years of submissions. I agree also, that there is more room for error, especially turning the corner, and being sure that the fabric thickness is sufficient.

QuiltNama 08-03-2017 08:44 AM

For many years that was the only way I knew how finish the edge of a quilt, still use it a lot today. I also sew binding on by machine and every method that I use has taken some practice to get it right. There are several how tos on you tube.

KalamaQuilts 08-03-2017 09:25 AM

I did it with my very first quilt. Because at the time I didn't have a stack of quilts to choose from, the binding wore through fairly quickly, a couple of years. Put on the purchased satin binding, it wore through in a few years also. By then I knew how to do a real binding, and that is still holding fine. :)

all that said to say, it depends on how much wear the quilt will get.

Helen6869 08-03-2017 10:43 AM

This is the way I have bound all of my quilts except one where the binding was already cut for me. I love doing this. I cut the backing with a ruler so it will be square at least 2" wider than front. Then measure accurately and using elmer's school glue fold it over twice and glue, iron, and clip with wonder clips. Let dry over night. Then I use a blanket stitch on my babylock to stitch on the front. Looks pretty good to me. You have to be fussy getting the miters but it's not too hard. The worst part is man-handling the quilt on my sewing machine.

tranum 08-03-2017 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 (Post 7878762)
This is the way I have bound all of my quilts except one where the binding was already cut for me. I love doing this. I cut the backing with a ruler so it will be square at least 2" wider than front. Then measure accurately and using elmer's school glue fold it over twice and glue, iron, and clip with wonder clips. Let dry over night. Then I use a blanket stitch on my babylock to stitch on the front. Looks pretty good to me. You have to be fussy getting the miters but it's not too hard. The worst part is man-handling the quilt on my sewing machine.

Interesting!

ruby2shoes 08-03-2017 12:06 PM

Thankyou everyone.

Daylesewblessed 08-03-2017 01:14 PM

I do it for most of my Linus and other charity quilts. It is quick and easy. I use a walking foot and a zigzag stitch and don't have any problems. Appearance is fine, but I agree that it will probably not wear as long as a double fold binding.

meyert 08-03-2017 01:30 PM

I learned to do this from Quilts For Kids patterns. I do it from time to time depending on the backing that is on the quilt