Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fons $ Porter show today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fons-%24-porter-show-today-t252457.html)

Jan in VA 08-25-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6859280)
it sounds like they are using the babylock Destiny - about $15k
http://babylock.com/yourdestinyawaits/

OMG! I am eternally grateful I *know* I can make beautiful, colorful, well-made, greatly appreciated quilts using my 10 year old rulers, my extensive personal stash, my graph paper, and my 20 year old mechanical Bernina sewing machine I bought on sale.

Jan in VA

luvstoquilt301 08-25-2014 08:38 PM

I guess there is a market for that expensive machine. Keeps the economy rolling along without my help. I thought that machine was a long arm but that is not the case.

quiltsRfun 08-25-2014 09:05 PM

If I was able to spend that kind of money I'd get a long arm.

cathylynn 08-25-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6860260)
OMG! I am eternally grateful I *know* I can make beautiful, colorful, well-made, greatly appreciated quilts using my 10 year old rulers, my extensive personal stash, my graph paper, and my 20 year old mechanical Bernina sewing machine I bought on sale.

Jan in VA

here, here, Jan in VA!!! totally agree!

Annie68 08-26-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6860260)

Jan in VA

I'm with you, Jan! I just don't understand using all these electronics gizmos and gadgets in quilt making. Seems to me you would end up with a factory made piece. One has lost all the fun in taking your time to do each step by yourself. I guess that idea comes about from being an older quilter who started out with scissors and cardboard template. I do use rotary cutter and mat, my Singer Featherweight and an old Kenmore to machine quilt now after hand quilting for many years.

Annie :)

nanna-up-north 08-26-2014 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6860332)
If I was able to spend that kind of money I'd get a long arm.

Me, too! I think most of the tv shows today are really infomercials. My DH loves the woodworking shows but always says how they are really just a show to sell all the tools.

Personally, the more mechanical the quilt becomes, the less I like it. I'd buy a LA so I could finish my quilts a little quicker and, the beautiful LA custom quilting is beautiful..... but the hand quilting is so personal. Hand done is still what I love the most.

celwood 08-27-2014 03:13 AM

Can you tell us what series show number this was? I can never find the show on my TV. I was shocked at cost of new Babylock. I still sew on a Brother 2002D. Age on sewing machine does not matter as long as it sews. I also have a 1932 singer that I am renovating

Onebyone 08-27-2014 04:08 AM

There are many semi retired and retired with disposable income that if not spent will be spent by the heirs.

Geri B 08-27-2014 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6859472)
Tell yourself you want that machine and then just buy the Go and all the dies for it. Look at the money you saved! :)

This comp/sm has software and the ability to outline the GO dies.....so you have to either buy the go&dies or you are a owner already...at least that's what I got out of the program. For the cost of that s/m, plus I'm sure there were extras they did talk about, I will continue to just hand guide any raw edged appliqué I may so........

I have the GO and many dies.........no where near the $$$$$ that machine is tagged at!

mojo11 08-27-2014 05:26 AM

Mary was a newbie a couple of years ago on the show. Now she is the main host and teaches classes and has her own magazine????????? I don't watch them anymore.