Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fons $ Porter show today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fons-%24-porter-show-today-t252457.html)

hildie 08-27-2014 05:58 AM

I am always surprised at the beautiful garments and projects people are able to make with a basic sewing machine not the fancy, dancy ones. Talent comes from within not from a high priced machine. BTW, I am going to check these machines out at the Madison Quilt Expo just out of curiousity.

llong0233 08-27-2014 08:42 AM

I notice this very expensive machine does not have the one feature I would insist on: A stitch regulator. So far the only DSM I've found with a stitch regulator is a Bernina. If I remember correctly the least expensive Bernina with their patented BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) is under $4,000. It's not an embroidery machine but has loads of features and the BSR. That would be for me. But this Babylock is a real beauty. Just, in my opinion, ridiculously expensive.

Onebyone 08-27-2014 10:02 AM

Mary Fons took over when her mom, Mary Ann Fons, and Liz Porter decided to retire. I'm glad the show is still being produced. What's wrong with Mary as the host? She's young, energetic, knowledgeable, and fun. And has the best expert advice from her mother. I know the younger members in my guild really like her show and magazine.

Nell Dwyer 08-27-2014 11:15 AM

I looked at one in Tennessee-and that machine could do everything-I think it breathed on it's own-but the demo for the full machine took the dealer 1-1/2 hours, before she sent me into sticker shock-if I had known before the demo, I would have left-Maybe you should wait a few years for the price to come down-The Fon's ladies can afford one, but me I'm on limited income-nice to look at though-really pretty

Nell Dwyer 08-27-2014 11:18 AM

Liz Porter didn't retire-she had Breast cancer, and recovered to Texas to be closer to her kids, and quilts in Austin Texas, with a bunch of quilters, and Maryann Fons does quilting cruises-she is on occasionally-the daughter has her own show too.

Nell Dwyer 08-27-2014 11:20 AM

I looked at one in Tennessee-and that machine could do everything-I think it breathed on it's own-but the demo for the full machine took the dealer 1-1/2 hours, before she sent me into sticker shock-if I had known before the demo, I would have left-Maybe you should wait a few years for the price to come down-The Fon's ladies can afford one, but me I'm on limited income-nice to look at though-really pretty

Stitchnripper 08-27-2014 11:25 AM

I saw Mary at a quilt expo and I liked her. She does not think she is "all that" and knows she is still learning. We aren't getting the show on our local station right now (getting very old Georgia Bonesteel shows). I use some basic brothers and vintage machines.

misseva 08-27-2014 11:31 AM

I like Mary Fons. We can't expect Maryanne & Liz to be here for ever and someone has to take over.

NanaCsews2 08-27-2014 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6861816)
There are many semi retired and retired with disposable income that if not spent will be spent by the heirs.

Isn't that the truth!! Heirs and nursing homes. We have seen it firsthand where if there is money, the home gets paid with those resources before governmental sources kick in. So sad to see all that hard earned money go like that knowing if they should have enjoyed it.
DH and I have thought many times about spending savings, how to use retirement funds when we get there, etc. etc. We are of the mindset that we will use the disposable income to our liking, versus leaving it to the kids who can make their own way on their own terms without our advice. We have things to do, people to see, and places to go before we call it a day.

margecam52 08-27-2014 07:27 PM

My longarm was only 7K brand new...for the price of the babyloc I could get two of my machines!

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6860332)
If I was able to spend that kind of money I'd get a long arm.