Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fons & Porter Klutz glove (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fons-porter-klutz-glove-t278151.html)

NoraB 04-28-2016 08:58 AM

I love the Klutz glove and use it all the time. I don't need any other body part "removed"...especially since I need all those fingers working as good as possible...

nativetexan 04-28-2016 09:37 AM

Oh I cut myself with my 45mm cutter but just can't see myself using this glove.

ratherhaverain 04-28-2016 11:57 AM

I've used one for several years. I'm a geek so I decided to test it out before using it. I slipped something (can't remember what) in the cuff so that there was only one layer and then ran the rotary cutter over the just the wrist part a few times. The yarn fibers were cut a bit but the wires didn't let the blade cut through at all.

I wear it only on my left hand since I'm right-handed, being sure to retract the blade on the cutter before setting it down between cuts. This leaves my right hand free to move the fabric or whatever.

sap 04-28-2016 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7535291)
I have had one since they first came on the market. I read the reviews on Amazon but I am curious if anyone has had an accident while wearing them. I am very lucky since I do not drive that I have never cut myself with a rotary cutter. I have downsize the size of the cutter using a 28mm size figuring the smaller the blade will hopefully increase the lesser the cut. I get chills up my spine when any of my friends pull out their 60mm cutter.

I have cut myself, but my father also taught me measure twice, cut once. I have added, check the position of my hand before cutting.

i

Weezy Rider 04-28-2016 03:25 PM

I need some for feet! I hate shoes and usually wear sandals but I've dropped cutters, and had seam rippers fly of the table (usually propelled by a velvet paw) and stick in the floor.

DOTTYMO 04-29-2016 02:40 AM

I have long finger nails. I have ended up cutting them shorter but never my fingers. I'm far more dangerous with a knife.

Reba'squilts 04-29-2016 03:23 AM

I have the glove...know I should wear it but my hands are so small that they are floppy on me. I wish they made extra small!! I have never cut myself but there is always that one time that could turn into a trip to the ER. I think I will check the hardwear store for another brand. I bought a pair of gardening gloves that work great for FMQ for 5 dollars.

Mousie 04-29-2016 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 7535534)
I usually wear my glove also we have to remember we do not get another finger if we loose one

I will add to this: when my youngest dd would copy her dad and say
to me about "iffy" stuff, "Aw, nothings going to happen."
As if I were just making a big deal...my response?
"Ok, but do you want to learn the HARD way?"
:thumbup:

lovelyl 04-29-2016 04:15 AM

I buy chef' gloves that they use when cutting with sharp knives. A pair was only 8.00 and it does the same job as the klutz glove. I even put it on the cutting board and tried to cut it with my rotary cutter. It didn't cut at all, but dulled my blade!

MissSongbird 04-29-2016 04:23 AM

In January, I was cutting fabric and my rotary cutter hit a nick in my ruler (that I did not know was there) and it jumped up and hit my hand. I ended up having to get 5 stitches and that same day I went and bought a klutz glove. I don't always use it for mine is a little too big and it hard to work with. But I'm glad I have it. You never think you'll need it until you really cut yourself. It helped me not be afraid of my rotary cutter anymore when I was ready to get back to work.