Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fons & Porter Klutz glove (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fons-porter-klutz-glove-t278151.html)

ManiacQuilter2 04-28-2016 04:03 AM

Fons & Porter Klutz glove

I have had one since they first came on the market. I read the reviews on Amazon but I am curious if anyone has had an accident while wearing them. I am very lucky since I do not drive that I have never cut myself with a rotary cutter. I have downsize the size of the cutter using a 28mm size figuring the smaller the blade will hopefully increase the lesser the cut. I get chills up my spine when any of my friends pull out their 60mm cutter.

donna873 04-28-2016 04:14 AM

I use a 45mm and have never cut myself (knock on wood) since I have started quilting 10 years ago. I personally do not see the purpose for it.

redstilettos 04-28-2016 04:35 AM

I have never used a glove. But I can tell you I have come close to needing an ER visit. Those are "wheels of death" in my hands! (I am also the klutzy one that has sewn threw a long fingernail, too....so....take that for what it's worth)! LOL

Angellight 04-28-2016 05:06 AM

I have not cut myself with my rotary cutters while using them to cut fabric. I did brush my hand against a blade once and got similar to a papercut. I have debated the need for one of these, but I also do not rush when I cut. My dearly departed father was always working with tools of many kinds, and instilled in us the measure twice cut once mentality. If I need to be in that kind of hurry when cutting, I need to find a different project to do.
I was able to recently teach my lovely DIL some sewing basics, and I have also thougbt about including the clutz glove in her birthday present. According to my son, she should not be allowed around sharp objects.
I am, however, in the sew your finger club, and hate to admit I have done it more than once.

Happy cutting and quilting,
Susan

Gail B 04-28-2016 05:32 AM

I use the glove whenever I use my rotary cutter. Too many stories from other quilters about cutting themselves so I just don't chance it.

Weezy Rider 04-28-2016 05:51 AM

I've been saved from a nasty cut on a mandoline which are just as sharp. Have come close with a rotary cutter, but for straight stuff, I rip, and for others there's the accuquilt. I made the other half use it if he's got the box cutter and an old cutting mat.

Bree123 04-28-2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 7535382)
I've been saved from a nasty cut on a mandoline which are just as sharp. Have come close with a rotary cutter, but for straight stuff, I rip, and for others there's the accuquilt. I made the other half use it if he's got the box cutter and an old cutting mat.

Ooohhhh! It works with a mandolin? I'd buy it just for that. Those things seriously scare me. I have no problem with rotary cutters. I replace the blade with each quilt and sand down any nicks/burrs on my rulers. I have never had a close call ... but mandolins are a whole different animal. Thanks for the tip, Wheezy Rider!

ctyankee 04-28-2016 07:01 AM

I've been quilting since 1980, but 9-10 years ago -- when I should've known better -- I cut off a tiny bit of the tip of my right index finger. It bled like crazy. It happened on a Sunday night, so I was probably too tired to cut & too stubborn to stop. It was difficult to stop the bleeding, but hubby kept saying, ah, you're fine, so I sucked it up & went to bed. The next morning, I took off the wrappings & it started bleeding again. I went to work like that & my supervisor (I work in home health care), who is a nurse, sent me to the ER.

Now I like to think I am smart enough not to use sharp instruments when I'm tired.

NatalieF 04-28-2016 07:11 AM

I admit I use a glove, but an inexpensive one I bought at my local hardware store. It was with work gloves and it's registered to protect from cuts. Not a great fit, since they only had larges, but it's only for my left hand, so it doesn't matter much. It protects my hand, so I'm happy with that.

newbee3 04-28-2016 08:16 AM

I usually wear my glove also we have to remember we do not get another finger if we loose one