Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fons and Porter Magazine Goes Electronic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fons-porter-magazine-goes-electronic-t67473.html)

amma 09-29-2010 04:16 PM

There have been a number of topics lately regarding magazine subscriptions lately. Which ones we get, which we have let go, newcomers asking which would be good ones to start out with, etc...

So when I received this email from them and I went and checked out the July/Aug issue that was being offered.

I was impressed, included in the electronic issue are videos of their accompanying tv programs for one of the quilts. It was nice to be able to watch how this quilt was constructed, and then read the pattern, too. I thought this was a great feature for those new to quilting, or for those patterns that seeing a trick or suggestion would help make it go together easier.

From reading the email, they plan on including interactive, how to videos each month. This definitely got my attention also, I am a "how to" video enthusiast LOL

I admit that I cancelled my subscription to their magazine a year ago... but I am reconsidering starting it up again now :D Especially if I can see some of their shows that I no longer have access to. My PBS station no longer runs their new programs, I thought this could be a bonus for me, too :D

I am going to give them a call tomorrow and ask if they are planning on including videos of their shows in each issue.. and try to find out more about what they plan for how to videos too.

I wonder if we won't see more and more magazines offering this too... I know there are other digital magazines available out there now, but I don't remember seeing any videos in them. If you know of any, please add them to this topic. I would love to check them out too. Thank You in advance :D:D:D

sewmuchmore 09-29-2010 04:54 PM

Cool, please keep us up date. Like to find out more.

Dee Dee 09-29-2010 05:58 PM

So, they have a show accessible on the Internet that shows the construction of a pattern they have featured in the current magazine? How cool!

luvTooQuilt 09-29-2010 06:02 PM

Nice.. Keep us posted..

janRN 09-29-2010 06:09 PM

Amma, I got that e-zine, too. Did yours include a price for a subscription? I looked all over and couldn't find what the cost will be.

I haven't bought new magazines in awhile but I think this is the wave of the future. Even newspapers are losing customers to the Internet. It's a shame I know, and I've contributed to it by cancelling subscriptions.

amma 09-29-2010 08:03 PM

At the bottom of the email is says:

Print subscribers can get the digital subscription as a companion to your current print subscription – for only $1.50 per issue!

If you are looking at the online edition, hover your mouse on the bottom of the magazine, and click on subscribe
I think it was $16.97 for the online edition.

Quiltforme 09-29-2010 08:44 PM

I was having a hard time with the 1.50 per magazing in addition to the subscription price. I am just not sold yet on this one. the digital magazine I subscribe to doesnt' charge for both.

virtualbernie 09-29-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I was having a hard time with the 1.50 per magazing in addition to the subscription price. I am just not sold yet on this one. the digital magazine I subscribe to doesnt' charge for both.

I agree especially since they don't have the cost of printing and mailing a physical magazine to us! And we have to use our own ink and paper if we want to print something out. That's par for the course for Fons and Porter--they charge for every little thing... :thumbdown: I'll stick with the digital subscription I already have also!

amma 09-29-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
So, they have a show accessible on the Internet that shows the construction of a pattern they have featured in the current magazine? How cool!

For one of their magazine's patterns, there were videos of the two tv shows that showcased this pattern :D

Boopers 09-30-2010 08:12 AM

I still am on dial-up, so videos are really time consuming to download. I did enjoy their magazine.