Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fons and Porter Magazine Goes Electronic

Blog Entries
    There have been a number of topics lately regarding magazine subscriptions lately. Which ones we get, which we have let go, newcomers asking which would be good ones to start out with, etc...

So when I received this email from them and I went and checked out the July/Aug issue that was being offered.

I was impressed, included in the electronic issue are videos of their accompanying tv programs for one of the quilts. It was nice to be able to watch how this quilt was constructed, and then read the pattern, too. I thought this was a great feature for those new to quilting, or for those patterns that seeing a trick or suggestion would help make it go together easier.

From reading the email, they plan on including interactive, how to videos each month. This definitely got my attention also, I am a "how to" video enthusiast LOL

I admit that I cancelled my subscription to their magazine a year ago... but I am reconsidering starting it up again now :D Especially if I can see some of their shows that I no longer have access to. My PBS station no longer runs their new programs, I thought this could be a bonus for me, too :D

I am going to give them a call tomorrow and ask if they are planning on including videos of their shows in each issue.. and try to find out more about what they plan for how to videos too.

I wonder if we won't see more and more magazines offering this too... I know there are other digital magazines available out there now, but I don't remember seeing any videos in them. If you know of any, please add them to this topic. I would love to check them out too. Thank You in advance :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Cool, please keep us up date. Like to find out more.

So, they have a show accessible on the Internet that shows the construction of a pattern they have featured in the current magazine? How cool!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Nice.. Keep us posted..

Amma, I got that e-zine, too. Did yours include a price for a subscription? I looked all over and couldn't find what the cost will be.

I haven't bought new magazines in awhile but I think this is the wave of the future. Even newspapers are losing customers to the Internet. It's a shame I know, and I've contributed to it by cancelling subscriptions.

Blog Entries
    At the bottom of the email is says:

Print subscribers can get the digital subscription as a companion to your current print subscription for only $1.50 per issue!

If you are looking at the online edition, hover your mouse on the bottom of the magazine, and click on subscribe
    I think it was $16.97 for the online edition.

I was having a hard time with the 1.50 per magazing in addition to the subscription price. I am just not sold yet on this one. the digital magazine I subscribe to doesnt' charge for both.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I was having a hard time with the 1.50 per magazing in addition to the subscription price. I am just not sold yet on this one. the digital magazine I subscribe to doesnt' charge for both.
    I agree especially since they don't have the cost of printing and mailing a physical magazine to us! And we have to use our own ink and paper if we want to print something out. That's par for the course for Fons and Porter--they charge for every little thing... :thumbdown: I'll stick with the digital subscription I already have also!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    So, they have a show accessible on the Internet that shows the construction of a pattern they have featured in the current magazine? How cool!
    For one of their magazine's patterns, there were videos of the two tv shows that showcased this pattern :D

Blog Entries
    I still am on dial-up, so videos are really time consuming to download. I did enjoy their magazine.

I did like my free sample of the digital magazine but don't have a subscription so would have to pay for all. Kind of redundant to get both. I did not know there are other digital quilt magazines out there? I found the fat quarterly magazine, can anyone tell me any others? If you get the digital version you only have to print out the patterns you like and not have an overload of magazines to store. Sometimes there is only one pattern I like but I bought just for that one. I already have many years of magazines stored. Keep saying I'm going thru and copying the patterns I want but that takes away from quilting time or computer time...

One thing that REALLY bugs me about buying Fons and Porter off the rack is that they usually have their magazine encased in plastic. A. Environmentally that is NOT cool.
    B. I hate spending that money on a magazine that might not have a project in it that I like. C. They make me feel like a thief... the implied message is "you dare not look at our designs because you might steal them."

So, no matter what they offer online I will be sticking with my digital subscription to Quilter's World!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    One thing that REALLY bugs me about buying Fons and Porter off the rack is that they usually have their magazine encased in plastic. A. Environmentally that is NOT cool.
    B. I hate spending that money on a magazine that might not have a project in it that I like. C. They make me feel like a thief... the implied message is "you dare not look at our designs because you might steal them."

So, no matter what they offer online I will be sticking with my digital subscription to Quilter's World!
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a fan of the whole movment to on line. I spend enough time in front of a computer. I like a good print magazine as it is easliy transportable. No wires ... no looking for connections... no glare... Just me thumbing through , many times , looking at my own pace, if the phone rings I can answer and get back to were I was ..... etc.
    That being said there is a place for online, but , I am reluctant to sign more of mylife over to a screen.
    I remember my mother telling me that watching too much television would rot my brain. Well it can ! And to some not so nice things to our bodies. Well I think computers are the same ....too much ...!!
    Sorry I can get going on a bit!

I won't be subscribing to magazines online either. I agree with Lori S about spending too much time in front of the monitor. Plus I already have carpal tunnel. The more time I can spend away from the computer and a mouse, the happier my hands are.

I have an additional issue. I live in a rural area and I'm still on dial-up. Downloading any videos is out of the question because it takes so long.

Blog Entries
    I think digital quilt magazines are fantastic. I don't have to store the magazine and I can print out the pattern I want and don't have to keep it when I'm done. This F&P online magazine is the best I've seen. Most patterns have a video that pops up you can watch the pattern being made. Some ads have videos too so you can see the new gadgets being used. I'm going to see if the magazine will download on my Iphone. I use my Iphone more then my computer to read the board and visit online sites. No problem with hurting hands, you don't need to type or use a mouse. Just touch.

Wow, I subscribed, paid with Pay Pal, and already have the next issue to read before the time ran out to edit this post. I love having instant access to things. :thumbup: