Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Foolish cheapness (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foolish-cheapness-t205263.html)

quiltstringz 11-07-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5638876)
I recently bought a new rotary blade and it's no better than the old one. :thumbdown:

Just a thought not sure which cutter you have but if it is the Olfa one is the washer on the right way and the nut also makes a difference. I can't remember which is correct but I think they show you on the Olfa website. It could also be the blade I am sure that every once in a while there is a dud. If it is Olfa brand email them - they are usally very responsive. I had lost the washer on my cutter and emailed about purchasing a replacement and they sent one to me.

Cagey 11-07-2012 09:58 AM

My make do is rotary blades also. Don't know why as I have a blade sharpener I can use.

Stitchit123 11-07-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5639395)
I save on lots of other things, just not my quilting things. I feel the need to draw the line somewhere.

Me too -fabric cost to much to mess it up by trying to save a few cents or the the time. I use those 50% coupons for batting and/or rotary blades. Notion wise the most expensive item for me are the blades

stillclock 11-07-2012 10:03 AM

everything.

aileen

stillclock 11-07-2012 10:06 AM

i find that a slight curve in my between needles makes it easier to pick up an extra stitch. i like them that way....

eventually they break and it makes me sad. :(

aileen

CorgiNole 11-07-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5638767)
Are there items that you try to 'made do' with looooonnnng after it would have been sensible to have replaced/changed/serviced them?

And after you finally do, wonder 'what took me so long?'

My list:

rotary blades - dull or nicked
cutting mats - warped, cracked, or used so much that it is no longer smooth enough to cut properly on
rulers that have been used so much that the edge is curved instead of still straight
sewing machine needles
hand sewing needles - I keep on using one that has developed a curve in it
getting scissors sharpened
putting up with an iron that is not working properly
using an ironing board cover that is pathetic

These all sound very familiar.

Cheers, K

batikmystique 11-07-2012 10:46 AM

I will admit to being "frugal" with quite a few of my tools. However, when the quality of what I'm making begins to become compromised then I have no problems spending $ on new items. I will also spend the extra money on a tool if it makes my job easier.

busy fingers 11-07-2012 11:28 AM

Guilty as charged. Often I think that it is quicker to use what I have at hand than to take the time to change the blade - I could have cut that fabric by the time I looked for the blade, changed it and disposed of the old one properly. Same with sewing machine needles. We won't mention the ironing board cover :o I flip the cutting board from topside to bottom side frequently.

denveremerson 11-07-2012 11:57 AM

Yep. Guilty as charged!!

catmcclure 11-07-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 5638784)
Yep. I use everything too long, don't replace it until there's complete failure...unless something reminds me and I change it, but usually not :o

My kitchen stove is electric and has a microwave. It's one of the first ones GE put out - probably 35 years old, but it still works and I'm not in a hurry to replace it - at least not a really great hurry.