Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Forgetful at times (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/forgetful-times-t290248.html)

jmoore 08-08-2017 02:16 AM

Since I don't get much time to sew...I am a one or two project at-a-time quilter so I don't buy fabric and patterns until I'm ready to start a new project so I guess there's no reason to keep a list... but it sounds like a great idea.

I like the idea of writing it on the invoice.

ube quilting 08-08-2017 03:31 AM

I use composition books, remember them, to jot down ideas, keep records and tape pictures in. It is not real organized just page by page and at least I know I will find the info in that book. I could use a loose leaf binder and separate it into categories like patterns, ideas, color inspiration pictures, fabric lists, etc,.

I keep my current composition book right by my machine so it is always easy to access.
peace

sandy l 08-08-2017 03:31 AM

That's happened to me with books.

Annaquilts 08-08-2017 03:47 AM

do you place a pattern with fabric and store it away, or ordered just because it's so pretty??

Yes, this!

lindaschipper 08-08-2017 04:09 AM

So, now I think I will combine everyone's ideas. When I order fabric I will write it in a notebook, who from, how much, what pattern to be used or I have ordered. If I already have the pattern I will mark it with a sticky note, and when fabric FINALLY arrives, it will go into a tote with the invoice and pattern. Maybe just maybe I can keep myself organized if I remember where I put the tote!!

Boston1954 08-08-2017 05:47 AM

I have a list of everything I've ordered online. However, I rarely buy for a specific project, so why do I keep this list? I have no idea. :)

I do like the idea of knowing where things came from in case I want more. Maybe that's it.

klswift 08-08-2017 06:07 AM

I keep a small steno notebook next to the computer and log my purchases. I buy almost everything online. Not only fabric for fun but also for business, almost all my personal stuff and most of my gifts for family and friends. I can happily say I haven't been into a mall in years. I may go into a Target store 3 times a year and can't remember when I was in a regular dept store. I keep my online purchases in their checkouts until free shipping is available and then buy. I will admit to being in Home Depot and Lowe's a lot more than most folks and I go into Michaels with a 40% coupon and only buy one item (it is on the way to my part time job at Joanns so I can stop there a couple times a week if need be). I buy the odd things at Joanns, but only on sale or 50% coupon and add my employee discount. If you plan on selling your product, this is the only way you can make a reasonable profit. Buying retail, you can never recoup your money.

KathyFL 08-08-2017 06:24 AM

I have the same problem, also have purchased the same fabric twice....I'm liking the idea of a notebook to keep track of what the fabric is for. I have a ruler I ordered and have no clue what pattern it is for! Guess I need to search Missouri Star and see what Jenny was using it for!

kay carlson 08-08-2017 08:57 AM

I have given away duplicate books and patterns. Since downsizing my book collection it was easier to enter the data in a software program on line.

I have so many works in progress that I have only grabbed half a dozen to put in see-through boxes complete with the pattern, my notes, fabric, etc.

Now, I am going through each box to take inventory!!!!! I need to find out where I am in the construction
process..... As for now, I will probably just complete the tops if I don't have the backing in my stash.

Notes to self: pattern; inventory of fabric; inventory of blocks completed, already cut, etc.; size of unfinished block; what I can do in half-an-hour of sewing time. If I leave something ready to sew easily, I will make progress!

nativetexan 08-08-2017 09:13 AM

I too should keep a note on purchases. When getting dishes from Macy's i printed out each order. but quilt things I just let come. We all should be better organized and check things off when they arrive. (I just forgot i shut my bedroom door and walked right into it when looking at a strange phone number on my phone. Ouch)