Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   foundation vs paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foundation-vs-paper-t238394.html)

ckcowl 01-09-2014 02:20 AM

paper piecing is 'foundation piecing' ...difference is- paper has to be removed- fabric (often a light weight interfacing or muslin) is an additional layer in your quilt- stays in. the 'process' is the same...some of us prefer to use fabric foundations because we hate removing papers & like to make heavier/warmer quilts.

Holice 01-09-2014 03:08 AM

The foundation printed on fabric is " Foundation By The Yard" from Benartex. There are about 18 different designs each making a small quilt or wall hanging of about 36 x 40".

charlottequilts 01-09-2014 03:25 PM

I thought paper piecing was when you fold hexagons or some other shape around a paper template and whipstitch them together. Or maybe not.....

hugs,
charlotte

mimiknoxtaylor 01-10-2014 04:19 AM

I make a lot of scrap quilts & use both paper & fabric for foundations. For my specific PP patterns I use paper- even recycled paper that only has printing on 1 side & is still in good enough shape to go through printer.
For my crazy quilt blocks & string blocks, selvage blocks - I use different stuff. Found some thin, light pink fabric in my stash yesterday & I'll put it in my bin with my crazy quilt scraps & use it as foundations. Like someone already said, the only real difference is that the paper comes off while fabric stays in.
Bonnie Hunter has all kinds of tips for this on her site- Quiltville. She says she saves all the mess ups from the printer & uses those for a lot of hers.

lclang 01-10-2014 04:41 AM

I don't care for paper piecing but I do use phone book pages for backing for string quilts. It keeps everything neat and flat and controls the bias edges.

ziegamomma 01-10-2014 04:47 AM

My new mattress came with a thin, non-woven cover, almost like Pelion. I saved the cover to cut up for my next foundation pieced project. I think that if I go to a mattress store, or a furniture store, I can get all that type of fabric that I want, or will ever need. Just ask, and I am sure you will receive! I love to be frugal!

quilterpurpledog 01-10-2014 04:57 AM

Foundation piecing whether on lightweight fabric such as muslin or non-woven interfacing is generally the assembly of random sized scraps into a useful size such as string quilts or crazy quilts. On the other hand paper piecing generally involves very intricate patterns with lots of sharp points. Both the fabric and foundation are manipulated to produce the design. Small pieces of fabric are added one at a time, trimmed to straight shape (no curves) and then added to with other straight shapes. Various quilt artists have taken this concept to new heights-Judy Martin, Carol Doak and Judy Neimeyer. Designs can be quite simple or very intricate.

weezie 01-10-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts (Post 6503354)
I thought paper piecing was when you fold hexagons or some other shape around a paper template and whipstitch them together. Or maybe not.....

hugs,
charlotte

Charlotte, google 'English Paper Piecing'. I think that is what you are describing.

carolynjo 01-10-2014 08:15 AM

I do remove the paper from my blocks. You can use old telephone pages if your blocks will fit on the page, or you can buy newsprint paper on rolls at school supply stores or you can get the ends of rolls from a newspaper company to use. Have fun.

oksewglad 01-10-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ziegamomma (Post 6504146)
My new mattress came with a thin, non-woven cover, almost like Pelion. I saved the cover to cut up for my next foundation pieced project. I think that if I go to a mattress store, or a furniture store, I can get all that type of fabric that I want, or will ever need. Just ask, and I am sure you will receive! I love to be frugal!

Make sure that this covering can be ironed. I tried to recycle a similar piece of fabric and found it wasn't made to be ironed with even a low heat.

My avator quilt was made with foundation piecing--no guides to sew by. Helps stabilize the small blocks this is made from.