Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free Motion Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-quilting-t126535.html)

penski 05-30-2011 08:51 AM

i use a open toe foot and have no problem, im thinking your stitches are to long if you are snagging on them , try not to move you hands so fast, so you will get smaller stitches

TonnieLoree 05-30-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
I don't use an open toe foot. I use a darning foot or free motion foot. It is a closed foot and the opening is circular shaped.

This is what I use too. ;)

grammysharon 05-30-2011 09:34 AM

Move the quilt sandwich slower or sew faster so your stitches are smaller. :-)

NannyPat 05-30-2011 10:12 AM

Oh what darling piggies!! Love them! Are you not using a darning foot for your FMQ?

Originally Posted by LindaDeeter
I am very new to FMQ ... just completed another Quilt for Kids and, it is true ... the more you practice, the easier it gets. I do have one question. How do you keep the open toe foot from snagging your stitches as you Free Motion Quilt?

IBQUILTIN 05-30-2011 11:25 AM

You probably forgot to drop your feed dogs. Try that and go slower

BettyGee 05-30-2011 11:55 AM

A winner of a quilt! I have a closed FMQ foot so have never encountered that problem, but would think shortening the stitches would sure help.

Don't you just love FMQ, I'm still learning - probably always will be - but it is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt. What kind of machine did you buy? I'm drooling over the new Pfaff Quilting machine. The folks at my LQS keep telling me "...we finance." I don't finance so it will be awhile.

LindaDeeter 05-30-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
A winner of a quilt! I have a closed FMQ foot so have never encountered that problem, but would think shortening the stitches would sure help.

Don't you just love FMQ, I'm still learning - probably always will be - but it is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt. What kind of machine did you buy? I'm drooling over the new Pfaff Quilting machine. The folks at my LQS keep telling me "...we finance." I don't finance so it will be awhile.

I have a Janome Memory Craft 6600 Professional and love it! I moved up from a 1966 Kenmore! :-D I bought the Janome especially for quilting. The dual feed foot is sheer heaven to use! It came with the "open toe" FMQ foot but I'm thinking I can purchase the "closed toe" which I intend to do.

LindaDeeter 05-30-2011 12:25 PM

You have ALL been so helpful! I tried FMQ again today on a tote bag ... higher speed and slower hand motions and I think I'm getting it ... oh what fun! I am going to shop for the closed toe darner foot. I think that will be very helpful!

Ruby the Quilter 05-30-2011 12:33 PM

Looks great for the first time. I used to practice on small sandwiches that my grand daughters used for doll quilts. I didn't even bind them. Just zizagged the edges.

topper1 05-30-2011 03:30 PM

pretty................good suggestions..I need some too... :thumbup: