Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free Motion Slider (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-slider-t74216.html)

Izaquilter 11-04-2010 04:15 PM

I thought about this & even checked them out on line! How does it work? Is it as slick as the original slider? Can't wait to hear how it works

deedum 11-04-2010 04:40 PM

Wow, this is great!Thanks for your post. I did buy the super slider but it didn't fit so well on my machie and I cut it down and down again, and finally gave up on it. However, it does fit on my little janome now but thinking about trying this again but didn't want to spend the $30 . Yep I might try this!

craftiladi 11-04-2010 05:04 PM

What a clever girl you are and even better for sharing. Please let us know the results and your final opinion.
Just another reason I love this board.

BellaBoo 11-04-2010 05:54 PM

The Slider is super slick. I haven't found anything that slicky to use for a substitute that didn't cost the same or more.

featherweight 11-04-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Slider is super slick. I haven't found anything that slicky to use for a substitute that didn't cost the same or more.

This is very slick too!! and twice as big.

luvspaper 11-04-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by luvspaper
Great idea, but how do you deal with having to change bobbins? Does it bend up enough to get underneath it?

(I made a small piece for my machine bed and I have to tape it down and then untape to change. My machine is NOT flush to my table unfortunately)

It isn't taped down. That is what the shelf liner is for, it keeps it from moving. It is soft like vinyl and I just lift it up and change my bobbin.

Thanks Beth! Great idea.....have to try shelf liner on mine so I can get rid of the tape!

trisha 11-04-2010 06:48 PM

Bed Bath and Beyond here I come!!!

Honchey 11-04-2010 07:01 PM

I made myself a FM slider. Went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a "Chef'splanet Non-stick Ovenliner" It measures 23" x 25", twice as long as purchased sliders.This could be cut in two and either share with a friend or keep as spare. I kept mine large as I have a machine table that lowers my machine. If I find that is is to large I will split in two. I then put the rubberized shelf line on the outside of the slider and around the needle hole, on the bottom side of slider to keep from moving. I have a lap quilt almost ready to FMQ, so I am excited to use it. The price was $19.99, and I had a $5.00 off coupon. The Supreme slider sells for around $30.00 plus shipping. The SewSlip sells for about $27.00 plus shipping and they are half the size.

Hi, How are you keeping the rubber mat adhered to the slider?

quilterj 11-04-2010 07:01 PM

I had some vinyl and since my project was same I just cut it big enough for on my machine, cut the hole for the needle and taped it down. I bought a yard of vinyl a while back. It worked for me. But I like your idea better.

featherweight 11-04-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey

I made myself a FM slider. Went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a "Chef'splanet Non-stick Ovenliner" It measures 23" x 25", twice as long as purchased sliders.This could be cut in two and either share with a friend or keep as spare. I kept mine large as I have a machine table that lowers my machine. If I find that is is to large I will split in two. I then put the rubberized shelf line on the outside of the slider and around the needle hole, on the bottom side of slider to keep from moving. I have a lap quilt almost ready to FMQ, so I am excited to use it. The price was $19.99, and I had a $5.00 off coupon. The Supreme slider sells for around $30.00 plus shipping. The SewSlip sells for about $27.00 plus shipping and they are half the size.

Hi, How are you keeping the rubber mat adhered to the slider?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I used double sided tape to hold it on.