Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110

Thread: Free Motion Slider

  1. #1
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    I made myself a FM slider. Went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a "Chef'splanet Non-stick Ovenliner" It measures 23" x 25", twice as long as purchased sliders.This could be cut in two and either share with a friend or keep as spare. I kept mine large as I have a machine table that lowers my machine. If I find that is is to large I will split in two. I then put the rubberized shelf line on the outside of the slider and around the needle hole, on the bottom side of slider to keep from moving. I have a lap quilt almost ready to FMQ, so I am excited to use it. The price was $19.99, and I had a $5.00 off coupon. The Supreme slider sells for around $30.00 plus shipping. The SewSlip sells for about $27.00 plus shipping and they are half the size.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Super Member Grama Lehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    5,040
    You are so cool!! I can do this!! {{{hugs to you and your bright ideas!!}}}
    GREAT WAY TO SAVE A BUCK!!

  3. #3
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Beth, Very clever. I will have to get two: one for my oven didn't even know they made these things; two for FM.

    Thanks for the photos also. :thumbup: :-D

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Clever! Let us know how it works for you :D:D:D

  5. #5
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,694
    Blog Entries
    2
    Ha! I'm about to buy one for my oven!! i have the supreme slider, so don't necessarily need this for sewing. great idea though.

  6. #6
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    Ha! I'm about to buy one for my oven!! i have the supreme slider, so don't necessarily need this for sewing. great idea though.
    Yes Carolyn, But this one is twice as big. See you soon!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    979
    Great idea, but how do you deal with having to change bobbins? Does it bend up enough to get underneath it?

    (I made a small piece for my machine bed and I have to tape it down and then untape to change. My machine is NOT flush to my table unfortunately)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    789
    Wow!! Nice money saver.

  9. #9
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    Great idea, but how do you deal with having to change bobbins? Does it bend up enough to get underneath it?

    (I made a small piece for my machine bed and I have to tape it down and then untape to change. My machine is NOT flush to my table unfortunately)
    It isn't taped down. That is what the shelf liner is for, it keeps it from moving. It is soft like vinyl and I just lift it up and change my bobbin.

  10. #10
    Super Member Maggiemay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,537
    Good idea. I have an old set of Teflon baking sheets & the largest size I rarely use anymore. For what I used it for Reynolds Release works just as well. I'll have to give this a try!

  11. #11
    Super Member Izaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,286
    Blog Entries
    1
    I thought about this & even checked them out on line! How does it work? Is it as slick as the original slider? Can't wait to hear how it works

  12. #12
    Super Member deedum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bluebell
    Posts
    4,224
    Wow, this is great!Thanks for your post. I did buy the super slider but it didn't fit so well on my machie and I cut it down and down again, and finally gave up on it. However, it does fit on my little janome now but thinking about trying this again but didn't want to spend the $30 . Yep I might try this!

  13. #13
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a clever girl you are and even better for sharing. Please let us know the results and your final opinion.
    Just another reason I love this board.

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    The Slider is super slick. I haven't found anything that slicky to use for a substitute that didn't cost the same or more.

  15. #15
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The Slider is super slick. I haven't found anything that slicky to use for a substitute that didn't cost the same or more.
    This is very slick too!! and twice as big.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    Great idea, but how do you deal with having to change bobbins? Does it bend up enough to get underneath it?

    (I made a small piece for my machine bed and I have to tape it down and then untape to change. My machine is NOT flush to my table unfortunately)
    It isn't taped down. That is what the shelf liner is for, it keeps it from moving. It is soft like vinyl and I just lift it up and change my bobbin.
    Thanks Beth! Great idea.....have to try shelf liner on mine so I can get rid of the tape!

  17. #17
    Super Member trisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,874
    Bed Bath and Beyond here I come!!!

  18. #18
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I made myself a FM slider. Went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a "Chef'splanet Non-stick Ovenliner" It measures 23" x 25", twice as long as purchased sliders.This could be cut in two and either share with a friend or keep as spare. I kept mine large as I have a machine table that lowers my machine. If I find that is is to large I will split in two. I then put the rubberized shelf line on the outside of the slider and around the needle hole, on the bottom side of slider to keep from moving. I have a lap quilt almost ready to FMQ, so I am excited to use it. The price was $19.99, and I had a $5.00 off coupon. The Supreme slider sells for around $30.00 plus shipping. The SewSlip sells for about $27.00 plus shipping and they are half the size.
    Hi, How are you keeping the rubber mat adhered to the slider?

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,706
    I had some vinyl and since my project was same I just cut it big enough for on my machine, cut the hole for the needle and taped it down. I bought a yard of vinyl a while back. It worked for me. But I like your idea better.

  20. #20
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I made myself a FM slider. Went to Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased a "Chef'splanet Non-stick Ovenliner" It measures 23" x 25", twice as long as purchased sliders.This could be cut in two and either share with a friend or keep as spare. I kept mine large as I have a machine table that lowers my machine. If I find that is is to large I will split in two. I then put the rubberized shelf line on the outside of the slider and around the needle hole, on the bottom side of slider to keep from moving. I have a lap quilt almost ready to FMQ, so I am excited to use it. The price was $19.99, and I had a $5.00 off coupon. The Supreme slider sells for around $30.00 plus shipping. The SewSlip sells for about $27.00 plus shipping and they are half the size.
    Hi, How are you keeping the rubber mat adhered to the slider?
    I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I used double sided tape to hold it on.

  21. #21
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    What a great idea. You are so creative.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,379
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow!! Great idea!!! Please be sure to let us know how it is working out for you when you FMQ! Thanks for the info! :)

  23. #23
    Super Member fireworkslover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,641
    What a great idea. I hope it works as well as the pricey one. Let us know.

  24. #24
    Super Member Pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,448
    If this works good for you I'll need to get one also even through my machine sets ontop of my sewing table , hope it would work for like mine to. :-D

  25. #25
    Super Member anicra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dingmans Ferry, Pa
    Posts
    1,170
    What a great idea. I have a supreme slider and wish it were a little larger since my machine fits in to my cabinet and the flat sewing surface is larger. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.