Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Motion Slider

Blog Entries
    I guess I need to buy two, one for a back up slider and one for my oven. When something spills in the oven I just turn on the self cleaning cycle. I give my neighbor, Queen of Green, panic attacks. I run my dishwasher with maybe a couple of pots in it, wash and dry small loads of laundry, use disposable dishes,cups and utensils for every meal, my trash pick up is always full, won't turn off my yard lamp that comes on at dusk and stays on until dawn and I refuse to keep the house below 76 in the winter or above 72 in the summer. Buying a oven liner will make her think I'm maybe changing my ways. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Banned
    very very cool and thank you for the idea

great idae i bought the slider but i wish it covered a larger area i will try this , how did you put the shelf liner stuff on it , glue?

Blog Entries
    Well I have both ... yes I am blessed. I misplaced my slider (it was in between fabric on my cutting table), so I ordered one of the oven liners online. It was $8.95 plus $6 shipping. I don't remember the exact measurements but I can tell you I LOVE IT! It likes 1" being the same size as the acrylic table for my Janome 7700. I made a tiny oval cut for the needle and just taped it with clear mailing tape to the table. When I change the bobbin, I just slide the whole table off. It's easy peasy and just as slick as the original slider and much bigger. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Josi in FL

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Can you tell me the name of the shelf liner? I probably then can get it at Amazon.com. I do a lot of shopping there and they have the chef'splanet there also. Will order the two things together then.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    Great idea, but how do you deal with having to change bobbins? Does it bend up enough to get underneath it?

(I made a small piece for my machine bed and I have to tape it down and then untape to change. My machine is NOT flush to my table unfortunately)
    It isn't taped down. That is what the shelf liner is for, it keeps it from moving. It is soft like vinyl and I just lift it up and change my bobbin.
    It is the cheapy stuff you get at Dollar Tree or the grocery store. The rubbery kind. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    I'm lost even with the pictures. What in the world is a slider?
    It is a very slick mat that fits on the bed of you sewing machine so the fabric slides easier when you are FMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I guess I need to buy two, one for a back up slider and one for my oven. When something spills in the oven I just turn on the self cleaning cycle. I give my neighbor, Queen of Green, panic attacks. I run my dishwasher with maybe a couple of pots in it, wash and dry small loads of laundry, use disposable dishes,cups and utensils for every meal, my trash pick up is always full, won't turn off my yard lamp that comes on at dusk and stays on until dawn and I refuse to keep the house below 76 in the winter or above 72 in the summer. Buying a oven liner will make her think I'm maybe changing my ways. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Sounds like my kind of lady!!!

Quote Originally Posted by penski
    great idae i bought the slider but i wish it covered a larger area i will try this , how did you put the shelf liner stuff on it , glue?
    I used double sided tape.

Thanks, Featherweight! I've been wanting to get the Supreme Slider, but have not yet been able to talk myself into paying the asking price. I shall go shopping for one of those slick oven liners; I already have the shelf liner (which I use for many things, but not lining shelves!) & double-backed tape.

Can't wait to try this! The Supreme Slider is just not big enough. So this should do the trick! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Ok fellow quilters, we have to keep this hush hush or I'm positive the price of it will double! So when you mention this be sure to do it in a low tone so no one hears you but the person you are passing this on to & not anyone else! Once they get wind that 'quilters' are using it, forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Ok fellow quilters, we have to keep this hush hush or I'm positive the price of it will double! So when you mention this be sure to do it in a low tone so no one hears you but the person you are passing this on to & not anyone else! Once they get wind that 'quilters' are using it, forget it!
    Boy, you got that right. Just like the HF rotary blades. I also use HF bathtub grip handles for my rulers. At the quilt store they are $20.00 at HF they are $9.00 then use the 20%off coupon. When my DH says he's going to HF i shout not without me your not.LOL

oh dear now there's going to be a run on oven liners. we better hurry and get one before the price goes up. They even think your not using it as it was meant for they will charge double:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Boy, you got that right. Just like the HF rotary blades. I also use HF bathtub grip handles for my rulers. At the quilt store they are $20.00 at HF they are $9.00 then use the 20%off coupon. When my DH says he's going to HF i shout not without me your not.LOL
    roflmao & he probably thinks "is she alright????"

Great idea, thanks

Thanks! I'll have to try this oven liner. I tried the slider with no success. Hope this works better.

Again, another example of price differences that are overly inflated here...our sliders start at about $125...and our dollar has parity at the moment...

Blog Entries
    Gosh, I feel bad that you paid that much. If anyone lives near Christmas Tree Shops, they have them for $5.00

Blog Entries
    I love reading about things like this, where someone has been able to make a better/cheaper whatever work for them.Very clever! My machine sits on a desk, so isn't level to use a slider.

Well dang maybe I will take the one I have in the oven wash it and give it a try, lol... Great idea.

Thanks for the pictures. It helps to understand how to set this thing up. I am anxious to try.

Banned
    Smartypants!

Dana

great tip! I have a Supreme Slider, but I also have two machines, lol..actually, more but they need servicing...woo hoo, for inventiveness! Ain't we quilters something? :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Good to know, thanks

I was just about to buy the slider! thank you so much for the tip! o we need to buy rubberized shelf lining too?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast