Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-standing-quilt-display-craft-show-t200117.html)

x7lillies 09-10-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5504977)
Kim, just curious- where in the Rochester area is the show? I love going to new shows and vend at a few in the Webster/ Wayne county area.

I've applied to enter the "Crafts for a Cause" craft show at the Penfield YMCA. All vendor fees go to the Y's youth programs, and I've opted to donate a raffle item as well. This will be my first show if I'm accepted (it's juried)! My etsy store is called KimKolbQuilts if you want to look at my stuff and get a feel for what I'll be offering. My stock is kind of low right now, I just started. I hope to build up inventory, though. I'm planning on making a few crib-sized and lap-sized rag quilts, maybe a pieced lap quilt as well, plus some large quilt block wall hangings. Then of course all the little things that people like to buy (placemats, potholders, ornaments, quilted christmas cards, etc.).

I'll surely post again if I get into the show, as I'll have a bunch of questions about preparing! I'll let everyone know if I'm accepted or not!

x7lillies 09-10-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late (Post 5505059)
MTS has the best idea here - however I would paint it a nice color rather than that stark white. Should totally break down and is light weight enough for you to tote around. Just tie it all together so it's easier to carry. Good luck at the show.

I was actually thinking of making it slightly narrower than the quilt, maybe by a couple of inches. Then I'll make the hanging sleeve (just basted on) slightly short as well. That way, when I hang the quilt, it should cover the sides of the pvc rack. And the "bars" on the ground shouldn't be a problem, since, well, they're on the ground :) I like the link that MTS posted, but I'm a little skeptical about it holding shape and not leaning to one side once a queen sized quilt is on it. I mean...it's heavy! I suppose pvc is pretty sturdy, though. As a plumber's daughter, I am well-acquainted with pvc and pipe fittings. So I guess putting it together wouldn't be so hard! Also, I think I can get a 7.25' pipe in my car with the back seat folded down to the trunk...maybe I'll also have to fold down the front seat. Or maybe I'll borrow DH's larger car :)

Gladys 09-10-2012 04:23 PM

These are all great recommendations. Good luck and please keep us posted.:thumbup:

mzmama 09-10-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5504730)
My vote as well. Inexpensive, portable and collapsible.

A quick Google search brought this up first:
http://www.quiltfrog.com/QuiltDisplayRack.html

Looks easy enough - especially since HD or Lowe's will cut the pipes to size for you.
I've been meaning to build one so I can take pictures of my quilts - straight on, without people's fingers in the corner, balancing off off balconies or porches.

That is the very design we use. Yes, you can see the pvc pipe but it is white so it doesn't look bad.
You just need the scrub the lettering off the pipe. Use a brillo pad and it is gone.

BellaBoo 09-10-2012 06:03 PM

I know the pipe is easy to cut but I couldn't put the long pieces in my car and it was over 110 degrees that day so no way I was driving with the pipe out the window. I wanted them cut in two but the guys said he wasn't allowed. :thumbdown: I found 4 ft pieces but they were heavy walled and too thick. DH drove the truck and picked them up for me, it was on his way to the sporting goods store. LOL

MTS 09-10-2012 06:19 PM

OK, I had to stop by HD anyway this evening (where they have cut PVC pipe for me before for numerous non-quilting related projects).

The unofficial policy at the one closest to me is.....if the guy working in the department feels like it, he'll cut it.
I guess I've just always been lucky.
Go figure.
And I go late on weekdays- 7-8PM.
I'm guessing Saturday afternoon would probably would get me a big fat "no way."

x7lillies 09-11-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5505531)
OK, I had to stop by HD anyway this evening (where they have cut PVC pipe for me before for numerous non-quilting related projects).

The unofficial policy at the one closest to me is.....if the guy working in the department feels like it, he'll cut it.
I guess I've just always been lucky.
Go figure.
And I go late on weekdays- 7-8PM.
I'm guessing Saturday afternoon would probably would get me a big fat "no way."

Thanks so much for the research! We don't have a saw, but I'm thinking I probably know at least one person that does. I think I can fit 10' in my car if it's necessary, for the short 15 minute drive home. I'm excited, but I'll hold off on getting the parts until I know whether or not the show accepted me!

MimiBug123 09-12-2012 03:42 AM

I think the PVC pipe rack would suit your purposes. It's cheap to build and easy to transport.

vickig626 09-12-2012 06:06 AM

I've done craft shows and would suggest you contact them to see if you "can" be placed against a wall area. If that's not possible, ask you are "able" to display something that high up. Some shows don't want displays taking away from customers looking across the hall (if that makes sense). But the folded door / room divider type idea would work perfectly.

Good luck at your show!!

Golfergal 09-12-2012 06:44 AM

One quilt display idea is to set a straight chair on top of a table, drape your whole quilt over it & let the point hang down below the table top(arrange it so it forms a V using one corner. The whole quilt covers the chair, tuck the rest in the back. It will be eye level for everyone to see -still have room on table top to put other items. Also a wooden folding clothes rack works to display alot of items too & it would fit in your car. Good Luck!