Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Freezer Paper vs. Fusible Web (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/freezer-paper-vs-fusible-web-t48556.html)

shaverg 06-06-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

Easy peasy!!!! :thumbup:

Not so easy if you are doing hand applique. LOL

craftybear 06-06-2010 12:53 PM

I have read thru this thread and learned alot, thanks everyone for all of your comments

sewcrafty 06-06-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg

Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

Really its not that hard!!! Once you do it this way you'll wonder why you've done it the other ways. Please don't be afraid. Just the tip of the needle guides the material. Really, honestly, its not hard. Try it on some simple shapes on scrap fabric. The hardest is the points and once you do them and see how to do it you'll go OHHH! :thumbup:

I know there are different ways of doing everything and not everything works for everyone. I guess for me its the easiest and most productive way. I feel people get intimidated by it and wish they wouldn't.

That's all. Sorry if I've offended anyone!! :-D

shaverg 06-06-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg

Really its not that hard!!! Once you do it this way you'll wonder why you've done it the other ways. Please don't be afraid. Just the tip of the needle guides the material. Really, honestly, its not hard. Try it on some simple shapes on scrap fabric. The hardest is the points and once you do them and see how to do it you'll go OHHH! :thumbup:

I know there are different ways of doing everything and not everything works for everyone. I guess for me its the easiest and most productive way. I feel people get intimidated by it and wish they wouldn't.

That's all. Sorry if I've offended anyone!! :-D

I actually have done some machine applique. My preference is hand work. I like the process. I'm one of those crazy people that likes sewing on binding too. LOL

Honchey 06-06-2010 10:23 PM

you use the freezer paper to adhere the fabric , you then fold over the seam allowance of the fabricto press it flat--you them remove the freezer paper and your applique is ready for HAND SEWING. Fusible webis where you press the fusible to the reverse side of the fabric--cut out your design and then you remove the paper. You will then press your cut out design onto your fabric and either hand stitch or machine around the design. You can also just leave it be if it is not going to be handled much. hope this helps, Anne

sewcrafty 06-07-2010 04:16 AM

Here are a couple of sites that'll show you what I'm talking about.

http://appliquetoday.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

http://appliquetoday.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

CarrieAnne 06-07-2010 05:11 AM

Well, I am so glad I read this. Applique is SO confusing to me, as everyone does it differently....my friend kept telling meto put the freezer paper on top, books said bottom. I just have to get brave and try it all to see what worksforme!
Sewcrafty, you didnt offend anyone....hey, another way of doing something...I will sure try it!

peppermint31 06-08-2010 05:11 AM

I recently read that freezer paper shrinks so you should spray with water & iron to shrink it & then apply to fabric. Haven't tested out this theory yet tho

foxxigrani 06-08-2010 05:42 AM

I am not the worlds greatest appliquer, but I use freezer paper always. I trace pattern onto paper, put on fabric, then iron edges down to paper, when I am about to close the gap sewing, I reach in and pull the freezer paper out with tweezers. then smooth down the hole and finish, I have never slit back ooo that would bother me. But as I said what do I know, I am a bad quilter all around, and those points in applique send me for a tail spin. lol

shaverg 06-08-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I am not the worlds greatest appliquer, but I use freezer paper always. I trace pattern onto paper, put on fabric, then iron edges down to paper, when I am about to close the gap sewing, I reach in and pull the freezer paper out with tweezers. then smooth down the hole and finish, I have never slit back ooo that would bother me. But as I said what do I know, I am a bad quilter all around, and those points in applique send me for a tail spin. lol

I do it exactly the same way, works for me.