Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Freezer Paper vs. Fusible Web

  1. #1
    Senior Member Sunflower Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pampa, Texas
    Posts
    734
    Blog Entries
    1
    Who uses freezer paper for applique? I've been using heat n bond but people keep telling me they use butcher's/freezer paper. If you use it, does it work as well?

  2. #2
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    This is an interesting topic, as I am getting ready to do my first applique quilt!

  3. #3
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    when you use freezer paper you take it out so your piece is not stiff, the heat bond is there and stiff forever.

  4. #4
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I use freezer paper for applique, I cut the freezer paper the shape it is supposed to be, then iron it onto the back of my fabric (just takes a second or two, no more to press it on). Cut the fabric about 1/4" away from the freezer paper. Then I take some spray starch and spray it into a small container to get it into a liquid state (the measuring thing from cold medicine or a camera film container is a great size). Dip a Q-Tip into the liquid starch and saturate the seam allowance of the fabric, then press it over the edge of the freezer paper with the iron. When you're done, you can remove the freezer paper and attach your applique to its backing. The starch will wash out and there's nothing left to make it stiff.

    Clear as mud? :D

    P.S. They now make freezer paper sheets that go in your printer, so you can print your designs on them. Pretty cool!

  5. #5
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
    Who uses freezer paper for applique? I've been using heat n bond but people keep telling me they use butcher's/freezer paper. If you use it, does it work as well?
    I have always used regular freezer paper, reynolds makes one and mine is bespak, they make products for canning and freezing. I have used plain old freezer paper since I started applique in the 80s. It is a lot cheaper. If I need it to go in the printer, I cut it to 8 1/2 x 11, works great.

  6. #6
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    If you use the freezer paper off the roll, I find it usually sort of curls. So, how do you have it flat enough to go into your printer so it works?

  7. #7
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    With freezer paper you stabilize your fabric to draw the design on, but is removed, so that stability is gone. Is useful for needle turn applique, but nothing more. Some people use it for machine applique, but when you are done you have to make a small cut on the back of your work to remove it. I am not sure I would want to do that.

    Fusible web is used to permanently attach the applique piece to the background. It can be then machine stitched around the edges to prevent it from fraying in the future. You could do needle turn, but have to make sure you left enough around the edges to turn it, or just do a hand whipped blanket stitch without turning the fabric under. Certainly, two totally different uses.

  8. #8
    Skyqueen30094's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    168
    ok so I have 2 hugh rolls of freezer paper - don't ask long story - any way I was going to iron it to the front of the fabric, trace cut applique then turn applique over spray with adhesive spray, stick to fabric, remove freezer paper, then stitch applique ideas on this?

  9. #9
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    I kind of go back and fourth. Depends on what I'm doing. :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Super Member Darlene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,903
    I have never had luck using the freezer paper and I now have a whole roll. I use HeatnBond Lite most of the time.

  11. #11
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyqueen30094
    ok so I have 2 hugh rolls of freezer paper - don't ask long story - any way I was going to iron it to the front of the fabric, trace cut applique then turn applique over spray with adhesive spray, stick to fabric, remove freezer paper, then stitch applique ideas on this?
    I think the only way this will work is if you use a satin stitch on the edges. I would do two rows of satin stitch, the first one narrower and the second one wider to cover the first one. That way there shouldn't be any threads fraying around the edges. The advantage of using fusible for raw edge applique is that the fusible tends to prevent fraying of the edge -- at least for awhile; the disadvantage of using fusible is that it stiffens the fabric.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    I learned how to do freezer paper applique from Harriet Hargrave's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach.../dp/157120136X

    I prefer it to fusible applique because the edges are turned under (as in hand applique) and the fabric is not stiffened (fusible stiffens the applique).

    It's not a big deal to remove the freezer paper, at least the way I do it. I wait until the quilt top is finished, then turn it over and cut away the fabric behind the applique, leaving 1/4-inch seam allowance. This is easy to do because the thread shows you the edge of the applique, and the freezer paper keeps your scissors away from accidentally cutting the top fabric.

    I use Elmer's school paste -- the old-fashioned paste that smells like peppermint -- instead of glue stick or starch. I rub it on the fabric edge with my finger and then turn the fabric edge.

    To apply the freezer paper backed applique to the background fabric, I use HH's method that makes an almost invisible machine stitch that resembles hand applique.

  13. #13
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,198
    Blog Entries
    1
    another nice thing about using freezer paper is you do not have to reverse patterns like you have to for fusable, you can trace your appliques as they are then iron to the right side of fabric and your appliques are correct...makes it nice to not have to copy everything twice. you cut out your piece leaving a 'seam-allowance'- turn under allowance. it is easier to stitch...no stiffness from the fusable. it is just a matter of choice, some people always use fusable, some never, some depends on the project...that's how it is for me, i use fusable for projects with lots of pieces where i can pre-construct the piece before adding it to the block, or quilt. i use freezer paper if i'm going to do any hand-applique work or for simple designs without a lot of pieces.
    my sewing room would probably close if i ran out of freezer paper. i use it every day for something.
    you can reuse a piece of freezer paper over and over (some people say up to 15 times...i've never really counted) so that is a benifit over fusable with its once and it's done. if you are making multiple same pieces of a shape you don't have to use more fusable, one piece of freezer paper does it. cost wise its a great deal compared to fusable; and you can iron it to fabric to run through your printer.

  14. #14
    Senior Member LaurieE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alachua, Florida
    Posts
    684
    When I first tried using freezer paper, I used it on the wrong side and ironed the seam allowance around it. That didn't turn out real well and I didn't like it at all.

    Now I'm using it on top and needle turning the seam allowance under. That is so much better. The freezer paper is only there as a guide for how far to turn under the seam allowance.

    Another method I've tried, and the jury is still out on this method,is to sew the piece to be appliqued to tracing fabric. Slit the back of the tracing fabric so that you can turn it right side out. Iron the piece making sure that the tracing fabric does not show. Applique as usual.

    In case you don't know -- Tracing fabric is found by the interfacing in Joann's and has a grid on it for tracing multi-sized clothing patterns. It's lightweight, never stiff, has no glue whatsoever (because it isn't an iron-on).

  15. #15
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    I don't have a problem at all with the freezer paper. I just use a dab of temporary fabric glue to tack it in place where I want it. That helps hold it in place until I satin stitch applique it. I have used the "heat and bond" and I guess I over do it with the iron because it doesn't stick well for me. Then I saw on Fon's & Porter show one time about the fabric glue. Now I save money using the freezer paper too! :)

  16. #16
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    wow, interesting thread, thanks!

  17. #17
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I don't have trouble with freezer paper and sometimes I use it on top and sometimes underneath, just depends. I don't like the glues so I just pin it with applique pins. I do sometimes use the fabric fold pen if I am doing needle turn.

    These rings were done with freezer paper underneath and just pinned in place and hand appliqued.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I do take the freezer paper out either before I take my last stitches or cut the back. I prefer not to cut the back.

    The fabric fold pen helps turn the edge under.

  19. #19
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

    Easy peasy!!!! :thumbup:

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    Have you tried the iron resistant plastic such as
    "Perfect Shape" or "Templar". I have found this very good.
    You cut shapes then your fabric with seam allowance and dab starch on edges of the fabric and iron over the plastic. Makes really good clean shapes. I have also use a product called "Stable Magic" which is like a stiff pellon.
    Same method of turning the edges over but use glue instead of starch. I find I get good clean edges with this product as well. I always put bumps in the freezer paper but many like it.

  21. #21
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

    Easy peasy!!!! :thumbup:
    Not so easy if you are doing hand applique. LOL

  22. #22
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I have read thru this thread and learned alot, thanks everyone for all of your comments

  23. #23
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

    Easy peasy!!!! :thumbup:
    Not so easy if you are doing hand applique. LOL
    Really its not that hard!!! Once you do it this way you'll wonder why you've done it the other ways. Please don't be afraid. Just the tip of the needle guides the material. Really, honestly, its not hard. Try it on some simple shapes on scrap fabric. The hardest is the points and once you do them and see how to do it you'll go OHHH! :thumbup:

    I know there are different ways of doing everything and not everything works for everyone. I guess for me its the easiest and most productive way. I feel people get intimidated by it and wish they wouldn't.

    That's all. Sorry if I've offended anyone!! :-D

  24. #24
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Why go through all of this trouble with freezer paper. All I do is take a mechancial pencil and trace the shape on the fabric. Then I cut out the shape with an 1/8" seam. Pin shape on fabric and bring your needle up anywhere but a point and turn the seam allowance under and the line will be your guide. Then just stitch down. Pencil mark will wash out. :-D

    Easy peasy!!!! :thumbup:
    Not so easy if you are doing hand applique. LOL
    Really its not that hard!!! Once you do it this way you'll wonder why you've done it the other ways. Please don't be afraid. Just the tip of the needle guides the material. Really, honestly, its not hard. Try it on some simple shapes on scrap fabric. The hardest is the points and once you do them and see how to do it you'll go OHHH! :thumbup:

    I know there are different ways of doing everything and not everything works for everyone. I guess for me its the easiest and most productive way. I feel people get intimidated by it and wish they wouldn't.

    That's all. Sorry if I've offended anyone!! :-D
    I actually have done some machine applique. My preference is hand work. I like the process. I'm one of those crazy people that likes sewing on binding too. LOL

  25. #25
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    you use the freezer paper to adhere the fabric , you then fold over the seam allowance of the fabricto press it flat--you them remove the freezer paper and your applique is ready for HAND SEWING. Fusible webis where you press the fusible to the reverse side of the fabric--cut out your design and then you remove the paper. You will then press your cut out design onto your fabric and either hand stitch or machine around the design. You can also just leave it be if it is not going to be handled much. hope this helps, Anne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.